VOGONS

First post, by Secret Fawful

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All right so I'm running Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro with a 4 Gig RAM and PLENTY of hard drive space.

Anyway, I've successfully used DOSBOX to install the game but whenever I try to open TEKWAR.EXE in it, it says ERROR: Can't find TEKWAR CD.

Now I did manage to get the game working ONE time, when I had all the install files in the same directory and I installed the game to that directory. Then from the install I ran the game with intro and it worked, but before the intro was over suddenly it crashed back to the can not find CD screen. Any suggestions?

I do know about the mount CD command in DOSBOX but I'm a n00b, I don't know how I can run the game EXE after I mount the CD image. That COULD be the problem, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: I tried this in both versions 0.74 and 0.65.

Reply 1 of 15, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Read here: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Setup_and_In … ation_of_DosBox
Keep in mind that you'll need BOTH a HDD mount and a CD mount...
How to run the game .exe? Well if it installs to the harddrive, after you do BOTH mounts, go to the hard drive (e.g: c:)
change to the path where you installed (e.g: cd tekwar)
and type the game start command (e.g: tekwar.exe) I don't know the specifics, I don't have that game, but I think this is enough to get you going.

Reply 3 of 15, by Secret Fawful

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nevermind, I got that fixed. But here's another problem. I can't seem to mount the Shadow of the Comet Talkie CD in DOSBOX, and when I try to play the EXE itself, it just goes to a blank screen with DOSBOX's font changed to something a lot more pixely. 🙁

Reply 6 of 15, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glad Tekwar worked...
For Shadow of the Comet the same reasoning applies...
You'll need both a hard drive mount and a CD mount, I do have that game and I just tested it (Dosbox 0.74), it needs to create an INFOGRAM folder with a shadow.cd subfolder in the harddrive
so...you'll need, again, both mounts AND you need to install it first (so it can setup your options) from the mounted CD drive: install.exe (BTW, I forgot how awful that setup was), anyway, you do need to install it, set hardware options, and have both mounts while playing anytime and, obviously, while installing.
(God, how I miss when you had to do that for every game...and set up IRQs for Ripterm (and hence your modem, so it wouldn't freeze the mouse)
So, for any CD game you have you'll need both mounts, you'll probably need to set it up (or install it [I think Prisoner of Ice, didn't need a setup, funny]) and you'll probably be all right, some games may be a tad slow, depending on your hardware but that's how it is.
On another note some games did that on real hardware. (exit and leave you as if you set "mode 40", with huge characters, funny, I just tried that...DosBox doesn't support it 😜)

Secret Fawful wrote:

Nevermind, I got that fixed. But here's another problem. I can't seem to mount the Shadow of the Comet Talkie CD in DOSBOX, and when I try to play the EXE itself, it just goes to a blank screen with DOSBOX's font changed to something a lot more pixely. 🙁

Reply 7 of 15, by Secret Fawful

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It just keeps saying Installation path must be C:\INFOGRAM\SHADOW.CD but it never installs, the install just closes after I click ok. Sometimes it won't close right away though and I have to press enter for it to close down.

Reply 9 of 15, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What DosFreak said 😜, was typing when he replied, also, do type or paste your mounts.

Ok, you get a graphical installer, you choose a language, click on install and just click "Ok", it installs, really quickly, as it writes just 2 small files, and you're all set to go..are you changing the installation path somehow? Mine doesn't let me, actually.
If installed correctly, the install button changes to "Update".
Can you copy and paste here your mounts, or type them if you do them by hand?

Reply 10 of 15, by Secret Fawful

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay here is what I do.

I start up DOSBOX.

Since the CD is in Drive D, I type this-

MOUNT C D:\

Then

C:

Then it goes to drive D where I type in

INSTALL.EXE

2v2wlr5.png

and then I get this-

51abyq.png

I click okay, and it either crashes to DOSBOX or I have to press Enter and then it crashes back to DOSBOX.

Reply 12 of 15, by Secret Fawful

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried it and again it just crashes the install. I tried doing it without mounting a C drive as well and the install gave me a bunch of french text at the bottom basically telling me I need to install to C:\INFOGRAM\SHADOW.CD again, then it crashed to DOSBOX as before.