VOGONS

First post, by ConjurerDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I try to get QfG 4 to run on my Windows XP system.
The game comes on CD with the Quest for Glory Anthology that contains nr. 1 to 4. The fourth in several versions, the older dos, no speech in english, french and german and the newer windows 3.1 and speech version.

I try to get the latter to run. When I try to add it to Dfend Reloaded using the Wizard and selecting "windows" game it tells me that Dosbox could not run it because "sierraw.exe" would be a dos game.

When I try to add it as dosgame it doesn´t work either.

I installed the game to C:\Sierra\QGANTH\
The installation routine created two subfolders that belong to the game, QG4CD and QG435. The first contains as only excutable file "sierraw.exe". The latter folder is the only one that has an install file to select the sound cards for music and speech.

Has anyone got that game from the Anthology to run with speech enabled and ccould give me a hint how to configure Dfend Reloaded/DOSBOX to get it to run too?

Reply 1 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

use the installer of the collector (sierra help pages)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 10, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you sure the DOS version doesn't have voice? I had the regular CD (not the anthology) so maybe it is different. Personally, I would prefer the Windows version as it is less buggy, but then it had bugs to. Overall, one of the best of the series but certainly the most buggy by far. Makes it nearly impossible to play if you don't have all the patches, and then it is still buggy.

Anyway, are you sure it is recognizing your CD in DOSBOX? Did you mount it correctly. I think you only need the CD for voice, and not the game itself. So maybe that is the problem.

Reply 3 of 10, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is the BAT file I used. Basically, write a TXT file and then change the TXT to BAT and put it in your DOSBOX directory. Of course you will have to change the directories to the correct ones for your computer:

dosbox.exe C:\SIERRA\QGANTH\QG4CD.BAT -c "mount D D:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl" -conf c:\SIERRA\QGANTH\dosbox.conf -fullscreen -exit

Hope that helps

Reply 5 of 10, by ConjurerDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hazekel wrote:

Are you sure the DOS version doesn't have voice? I had the regular CD (not the anthology) so maybe it is different. Personally, I would prefer the Windows version as it is less buggy, but then it had bugs to. Overall, one of the best of the series but certainly the most buggy by far. Makes it nearly impossible to play if you don't have all the patches, and then it is still buggy.

The readme says that different version without or with voice are on the CD:
"
GENERAL QUESTIONS

Question: Do you need the QG Anthology CD in the drive all
the time?
Answer: Not for QG1, QG2, QG3, and QG4 non-voice versions,
since these are installed to your hard drive. You will need
the QG Anthology CD in the drive for any version of the voice
version of QG4."

Reply 6 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I advice you to use the installer of collector.

I did some work on supporting the sierra-more-games-on-one-cd installers, but there are still bugs left.

Reply 8 of 10, by ConjurerDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

The new installer works and installs the game. I only had to use the config to change it to run in fullscreen and now it runs fine with english speech.

Do I still need to install the update to QfG4?
http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/Pat … oryUpdates.html

As I have the Anthology CD-ROM I guess I can ignore the diskette version patches and need onyl QFG4CD NRS?

Reply 9 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the installers tend to include everything you need.
So if the patches are needed they are installed by the installer already.