VOGONS

First post, by fisherxc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run the last DOS version of Quicken in DosBox in Windows 7 64bit. The opening Quicken screen comes up, but when I use the Quicken menu option to tell quicken where the data is (in the immediate sub-directory) it says "directory doesn't exist". So I moved some data into the directory where the .exe is running from and it still says "directory doesn't exist". (Which is pretty clueless of Quicken, don't you think?)

Has it been determined that Quicken won't work in FoxBox or is there some known workaround to tell it something about the directory structure?

Thanks

Stephen

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FoxBox, eh? That's a new one.

At this point people will begin badgering you for asking about running a non-game application in DOSBox and how it is principally aimed towards running games.

Moving right along, the next obvious question is, how did you mount your directories? Most applications do not expect to be run from C:\ , for instance, so if you mounted C:\Apps\Quicken (or whatever) as drive C, try mounting C:\Apps as drive C instead.

If you are really desperate the debug-enabled build will show you what files or directories the program is actually trying to access, and you might be able to adjust your directory mounts appropriately.

Reply 2 of 4, by fisherxc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

FoxBox, eh? That's a new one.

At this point people will begin badgering you for asking about running a non-game application in DOSBox and how it is principally aimed towards running games.

I was actually editing my post as you responded because it dawned on my thick head that the C: prompt was really pointing to a sub directory. When I adjusted for that the correct directories became visible.

Thanks for your kind help.

The only problem I see now is that the top borderline of the Windows window is impinging on the top text line of the DosBox window, making it hard to access the menu headings which are located there. Also the text generally is very cramped. It looked better in the Dos windows that MS provided in XP. But other than that Quicken seems to be working correctly as far as I can determine (I`ve only played with a few functions). I do get an error msg that there is insufficient memory for a certain function but I got the same error messages in the dos box that XP provided. Is there a way to ask the OS to provide some additional memory for this program

Lastly I think it`s safe for the DosBox folks to update the compatibility list to say that Quicken 7.0 for DOS is runnable, playable -and mostly supported.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lastly I think it`s safe for the DosBox folks to update the compatibility list to say that Quicken 7.0 for DOS is runnable, playable -and mostly supported.

Sir? Did you completely miss the second line of my post?

fisherxc wrote:

The only problem I see now is that the top borderline of the Windows window is impinging on the top text line of the DosBox window, making it hard to access the menu headings which are located there.

I find it unlikely that what you are referring to is a DOSBox problem. I suspect it is something you can fix in Quicken's settings somewhere.

Also the text generally is very cramped. It looked better in the Dos windows that MS provided in XP.

Then you can run XP in VMware or Virtual PC. Otherwise, you might get somewhere if you play with the scaling options in the DOSBox configuration, as detailed in the readme.

I do get an error msg that there is insufficient memory for a certain function but I got the same error messages in the dos box that XP provided. Is there a way to ask the OS to provide some additional memory for this program

That will depend on the nature of the error message and what sort of memory it needs.