VOGONS

Installing Castles 2

Topic actions

First post, by scoutnj19

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone.

I'm in the process of trying to install Castles 2 using DOSBOX. I can mount the directory and run the installation file, but my issue arises when I get the following message:

"Please insert the Startup Disk into Drive 'x' and press any key to continue"

I believe this is the five floppy disk version, but the process keeps screwing up.

Here is a list of the steps I take to get to this point:

mount c:\...\cas2sc1
c:\
install (the exe file to install Castles 2)

the install process begins and it asks from which drive I want to install. A or B. I select one and it asks me if I want to install the in-game videos. I say 'yes' and it asks me to which drive I want to install. C or Z. I choose C and tell it to install to C:\Castles2.

After this, it tells me to insert the startup disk.

Does anyone know about this issue? Or have experience installing this program that could help out?

I appreciate any help I can get.

Reply 1 of 3, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well if you're trying to install the floppy version then you certainly have the disks, right? Create images and install from there. If disk swapping is a problem use a virtualizer for the install, like BOCHS or Qemu for instance, and copy the installed files to DOSBox.

Reply 2 of 3, by scoutnj19

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am a complete newbie to this kind of thing. I have the files of the floppy disks, and I have no experience with BOCHS or Qemu to know what to do.

Any step by step instructions for someone like me?

Reply 3 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't have to resort to Bochs or Qemu to get around disk swapping; you should be able to manage with Virtual Floppy Drive, if that's the problem.

Are you actually installing from the original floppy disks, or what?

If you're trying to use a version you downloaded from somewhere, it is advisable to go to gog.com and pay six dollars for a version that is guaranteed to work.