VOGONS

First post, by soundblastermusic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have installed carmageddon using dosbox and it's running fine (in low resolution mode).

However I wanted to play the high resolution mode by running the command "carma -hires" at the prompt. After increasing the amount of RAM DOSbox uses to 24 MB (carmageddon hires needs at least 24 MB to run) the game successfully runs but I have a problem I can't fix: it runs at a very slow framerate, too slow to be able to play the game.

I'm using a Pentium 4 Hyper-Threading 3.00 Ghz. When I modify the "core", "cycles", "output", ... settings of DOSBox to try to have a better framerate, nothing really changes to the framerate. So I can't make it run faster whatever settings I change in the conf file of DOSBox.

Now my question is:
is my processor written above just too slow to run carmageddon in high resolution at an acceptable framerate (so I need a more modern CPU)
OR
is there a special configuration I have to set in the conf file of DOSBox to make carmageddon run smoothly in high resolution?

I hope somebody can help me with this problem and tell me what changes I have to make to the conf file to make it run faster!

Thanks

Reply 1 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By today's standards, your processor is actually quite slow. To run Carmageddon in hi-res under DosBox, I'd suggest upgrading to something a little more modern. A cheap Core 2 Duo or Athlon II-based machine should do the trick. 😀

Reply 3 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Carmageddon is still very demanding (graphics output transfers), anybody tried the highres mode?

Reply 5 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That's SOOOOOOOOOOOOO wrong, not having Carmageddon is a sin 😉

Reply 7 of 14, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just my two cents, I can't even get decent framerates using low-res mode; this on a P4 2.666GHz w/512MB RAM... but AFAIK, that's to be expected with Carma. (on my relatively lower class PC).

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 8 of 14, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Low res works fine for me, but I can't do high res because it's Max Pack.

Reply 9 of 14, by telanus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The stock-standard carmageddon hires here gives the following error:

Failure: DatafileStack type mismatch, wanted 2 got 2

Splat pack is running nicely

Reply 10 of 14, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I found the best solution for Carmageddon is GliDOS + vdmsound
Runs nicely at a full framerate, gives you texture filtering and custom resolutions, already worked fine on my former desktop (AMD64-3500+ and GF6600GT), while the hires version under DOSBox was still crawling. Still has a few minor issues (backmirror + mini playfield on the map not working) but the game is still easily playable that way

Reply 11 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My favorite solution to getting it working is using an actual Pentium II system 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

My favorite solution to getting it working is using an actual Pentium II system 😀

I second this. 😁

Reply 13 of 14, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
telanus wrote:
The stock-standard carmageddon hires here gives the following error: […]
Show full quote

The stock-standard carmageddon hires here gives the following error:

Failure: DatafileStack type mismatch, wanted 2 got 2

Splat pack is running nicely

That's the same error my Maxpack spews if using -hires...that the readme clearly states is not there:

"HIRES
-----
Because of the 3DFX version there is no Hi-res support in the Max Pack"

Reply 14 of 14, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a i7 860 and carma in hires software mode is still laggy.
For carmageddon in hires, better to use 3dfx patch.
I think it's game engine fault, it's not a dosbox problem.
I remember it was an insanely badly optimized engine.