VOGONS

5.25 floppy

Topic actions

First post, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there, I plan to get an old computer with a 5.25 drive so I can try to transfer my Jungle Hunt game files to the computer and then transfer those using a 3.5 floppy to my main computer, a 2006 Windows XP.

I have a few questions about that

1. Can I simply copy the file from the 5.25 to my 3.5 so It can work on my windows XP using DOSBOX?

2. Do I need to install the game on the computer and then copy the file to my XP Computer?

I have Jungle Hunt from Atarisoft and Sargon 4 on 5.25 floppy

Thanks!
EDIT: I am now trying to use the drive on an older computer, a 1999 computer with Widnows 98 SE as os

Last edited by Glitchologteam on 2011-02-08, 23:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you can, backup the floppy to images, that's better than copying the files over to another floppy.
You can then use the images with dosbox. No need to install the games on the old computer, better install them in Dosbox

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 23, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hope these floppies are not copy protected, otherwise what you plan to do will probably fail.

If your main computer is a Desktop system as opposed to a Laptop, and you are comfortable with a screwdriver, you don't even need to buy a whole old computer, just a naked 5.25 drive for PC will do fine. If the floppy cable currently inside your PC doesn't have the right type of connector (edge connector) for 5.25 drives you will need one that does, but many floppy cables have both types of connectors. Turn off your computer at the power supply (or unplug it). Open your computer, remove the floppy cable from the 3.5" drive and plug it (or the replacement cable you got) into the 5.25" drive. Make sure to use a connector AFTER the "twist" in the cable, the connector(s) before the twist are for a second B: floppy drive, but modern motherboards usually support only one A: floppy. Find an unused standard "IDE hard disk style" 4-pin power plug coming from your power supply and plug it into your 5.25 drive to power it. No need to put the drive into the computer case, just set it on a non-metallic surface and make sure it can spin freely. Turn the computer back on with the case open, go into BIOS setup and change the floppy type to 1.2 MB or 360 KB, depending on what type of 5.25" drive it is.

Now you can use WinImage or another imaging software to make images of your old floppies and you can immediately try them out in DOSBox. When done, simply put it all back together again as it was before and change your BIOS floppy setting back to 1.44 MB.

(OK probably you knew... but it is really easy to do).

tearex

Reply 3 of 23, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ive finnaly found my way of getting a 5.25 floppy drive. But unlike what you say, this is almost impossible to install. Each time I try, both the 3.5 floppy already in place and the 5.25 drive have their light on until the computer is closed. but They won't do anything

Reply 4 of 23, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't connect both drives at the same time! Connect only one at a time! Remove all plugs from your built in 3.5" drive while you're connecting the 5.25.

Also make sure that you don't plug in any plug in reverse, check on which end of the connector your motherboard and your drive have the "pin 1" marking (it's pretty much always marked, either with a figure "1" or with a dot, a little triangle or arrow, etc.)

tearex

Reply 6 of 23, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TeaRex wrote:

Also check for the twist. See this image for example, and only ever use the "A" Connectors with a modern motherboard:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/floppyst … ppyStepper4.jpg

I don't have that connector. I only have a Connector that got one plug for a 3.5 floppy, one plug for the 5.25 floppy and one plug for the motherboard.

I also tryed to plug the 5.25 floppy alone like you said but It do not work. Sometime the light on the drive stay always on until the comp shut off
Sometime there is a very loud noise from the drive when I turn on the computer

The only 5.25 floppy game I have is Jungle Hut and Sargon IV

Reply 7 of 23, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Glitchologteam wrote:

I don't have that connector. I only have a Connector that got one plug for a 3.5 floppy, one plug for the 5.25 floppy and one plug for the motherboard.

Is the 5.25" connector on the other side of the twist compared to the 3.5" connector? If it is: Buy another cable! The cable that you have won't work for a 5.25" drive on a modern motherboard. What is called 'Drive "B" connectors' in the image are non-functional on modern boards. You need a 'Drive "A" connector' for 5.25".

tearex

Reply 8 of 23, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another possibility is to check if YOUR 5.25" FLOPPY DRIVE ITSELF has some little "jumpers". If there are two little pins called "DS1" with a jumper on it, remove the jumper and put it on the "DS0" pins instead. DO NOT CHANGE ANY OTHER JUMPERS! Then connect ONLY the 5.25" drive using your existing cable, it MIGHT work.

Put the jumper back on "DS1" when you're finished, DS1 is the standard setting for PC drives.

tearex

Reply 9 of 23, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TeaRex wrote:

Another possibility is to check if YOUR 5.25" FLOPPY DRIVE ITSELF has some little "jumpers". If there are two little pins called "DS1" with a jumper on it, remove the jumper and put it on the "DS0" pins instead. DO NOT CHANGE ANY OTHER JUMPERS! Then connect ONLY the 5.25" drive using your existing cable, it MIGHT work.

Put the jumper back on "DS1" when you're finished, DS1 is the standard setting for PC drives.

I forgot to specify that I tryed this on an older computer because i didn'T want to harm the new one

It is a 1999 Computer that has Windows 98 SE as a OS

And I don'T see any jumper on the drive.

The cable has all the connector on the same side and there is no twist

This cable was ripped from a 1993 IBM Computer but i don't know if it was really working.

Is there any drivers for floppy?

Reply 10 of 23, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Drivers for floppy drives are built into all versions of Windows, you don't need to download any drivers, so this is not the problem.

However floppy drives cannot be auto-detected, they are not "plug and play". You have to set the floppy type in the BIOS setup.

If there is no twist in the cable, and you have no DS0/DS1 jumpers in the floppy, it cannot work on a normal motherboard.

Maybe the IBM computer was special. IBM sometimes did things differently from other manufacturers.

I advise you to buy a cable with twist. They don't cost much.

tearex

Reply 11 of 23, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TeaRex wrote:
Drivers for floppy drives are built into all versions of Windows, you don't need to download any drivers, so this is not the pro […]
Show full quote

Drivers for floppy drives are built into all versions of Windows, you don't need to download any drivers, so this is not the problem.

However floppy drives cannot be auto-detected, they are not "plug and play". You have to set the floppy type in the BIOS setup.

If there is no twist in the cable, and you have no DS0/DS1 jumpers in the floppy, it cannot work on a normal motherboard.

Maybe the IBM computer was special. IBM sometimes did things differently from other manufacturers.

I advise you to buy a cable with twist. They don't cost much.

This is strange because when I try with the 3.5 floppy drive, it work, it can read my things, but not the 5.25 one.

Reply 12 of 23, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you use the 3.5" drive on the same cable, and it works?

Maybe your 5.25" drive is damaged or broken?

tearex

Reply 13 of 23, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TeaRex wrote:

Do you use the 3.5" drive on the same cable, and it works?

Maybe your 5.25" drive is damaged or broken?

Ya, maybe the 5.25 drive is broken but the computer could detect it with the driver light always on or by doing a loud noise

Reply 14 of 23, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This has nothing to do with detection. Floppy drives are not "detected" at all. Instead you tell the computer in the BIOS that they exist.

tearex

Reply 15 of 23, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Glitchologteam wrote:

Ya, maybe the 5.25 drive is broken but the computer could detect it with the driver light always on or by doing a loud noise

If the light is always on an it's constantly noisy...the cable is upside down...

Reply 16 of 23, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodbat wrote:
Glitchologteam wrote:

If the light is always on an it's constantly noisy...the cable is upside down...

It do not do have the light always on and being noisy at the same time. Ive tried any combination and it don't work. My best bet is that the cable itself may be broken or the 5.25 may be broken too

Reply 17 of 23, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The light is not supposed to be on always anyway...

Reply 18 of 23, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Light always on is a common symptom of the data ribbon cable plugged the other way around.

Reply 19 of 23, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After many time again, I am still unable to make the drive work. Ive even bought a 5/14 1.2mb drive that the owner claim to work and a brand new Ribbon cable. Ive tried EVERYTHING, and nothing WORKS.

So I think the main problem may be the following one

the 1.2mb Floppy Device can't support 360kb game like Jungle Hunter or 1981-1987 game era