VOGONS

First post, by RideRed23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

need help, im running dosbox on a mac osX. im new and i i dont know how to fix the slowness.

Reply 3 of 9, by RideRed23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have the newest version, i have adjusted the cycles, and it made the load times faster, but the gameplay remained the same. could it be possible to of downloaded poor versions of these shooters?

and when i adjusted the cycles, i turned it up to 30000 to 40000 and like i said, the menus would run fast but gameplay would be poor, or skippy.

Reply 5 of 9, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

40,000 sound reasonable.
How much memory are you giving it? Does memsize=63 make a difference?
I don't know if it's relevant but I use output=ddraw, try that.
You can also try different values for core=.

Reply 6 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you had the latest DOSBox, automatic maximum cycles and dynamic core would kick in when you run it, for maximum performance and all.

RideRed23 wrote:

could it be possible to of downloaded poor versions of these shooters?

Yes. "Abandonware" is not supported.

SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

I use output=ddraw, try that.

OS X don't have DirectX

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 9, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, this thread is "full of fail", as they say.

How can anyone seriously recommend buying a new PC for playing the games mentioned, without even knowing which system the OP is trying to run the games on?! C'mon people, use your brains! Sheesh.

Anyway, RideRed23: give us more info about your system and on how you've configured DOSBox. A quick and easy fix for Doom would be to use one of the many "source ports" (just use Google), which are easy to use and usually much faster than DOSBox because of the way they're implemented. There's no source port for Blood though AFAIK, so you're probably in for some DOSBox tweaking for that game. In general, DOSBox is quite CPU intensive, and the games you're trying to run are pretty demanding, so you'll need a fast machine in order to achieve good results.