VOGONS

First post, by Vifa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I have ran many games through DOSBox over the years, and I have never had this issue with a game before. During gameplay everything suddenly freeze and this text is shown at the top: "PP_SOUND at 492, arg=16384".
This issue show up at a different place each time in the game.

I run the game from an .iso file created from the original CD.

Any suggestions on what the PP_SOUND issue is, and how to fix it?

Best Regards
Vifa

Attachments

• Mad Dog McCree.JPG
    Filename
    Mad Dog McCree.JPG
    File size
    60.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried running the game with no sound configured?

Mabye increase or decrease dosbox memsize value?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 9, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The installer leads you through the some menus but none of the are for sound. If afterward you select continue when there's nothing left for it to do, then you can enter sound options. However I don't think these are actually stored anywhere as the BAT and CFG files read the same regardless of choice.

Edit: I now suspect the sound options only display what has been detected and isn't for setting anything. The 2 sound cards it can differentiate between are Sound Blaster Pro and Sound Blaster 16. I used sbtype=sbpro1 and was able to rescue the sheriff a few times in a row without crashing.

Reply 5 of 9, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you use the same installation? When I made changes I deleted the MADDOG folder and had it install a fresh one. The files are the same so it shouldn't make a difference yet somehow it does.

Here's Another oddity.
Before I changed the sbtype, and when I already had it installed, I went through the install again but selected cancel each time. After this I didn't see a crash. I can't find anything that doing this would have effected though.

Reply 6 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The MADDOG.CFG file contains a copy of the BLASTER environment variable. If you change sbtype (which changes the BLASTER var) to something other than what's in the config file, it could cause a problem, but maybe it doesn't really matter. At any rate, I've yet to see the PP_SOUND error after several rescuings of the Sheriff. Installed and played using default settings in DOSBox 0.74.

Reply 7 of 9, by Vifa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think it is working correct now. Have completed the game 3 times without the PP_SOUND issue occurring.

I went through the installation again, changed 'Sound Blaster 16' to 'Sound Blaster/Pro' and pressed 'Install'. It seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks for all your input.