VOGONS

First post, by NiTROACTiVE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got Mutant Penguins to work on DOSBox, but there's one problem... THERE'S NO SOUND OR MUSIC! Here's the game's start up screen in case you don't know what game I'm talking about:

mutantpenguinsa.png

So can anyone help me solve this problem? If you want, I can give you info on my folders and files for the game.

Go here for more info on this game:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/mutant-penguins

Reply 1 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

For the sfx, run SETSOUND.EXE in the DRIVERS subfolder (SB16 and autodetect settings with a default DOSBox config). Music is from audio tracks on the cdrom, so be sure to mount the disc.

Reply 2 of 7, by NiTROACTiVE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

For the sfx, run SETSOUND.EXE in the DRIVERS subfolder (SB16 and autodetect settings with a default DOSBox config). Music is from audio tracks on the cdrom, so be sure to mount the disc.

Ok I did the "Set Sound" method, but there's still no sound in the game! 😢

Reply 3 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Works fine here with default settings in DOSBox 0.74. Maybe you're expecting sound in places where there is none. Start a game and you should hear the sfx as you're playing.

EDIT: The game must be in C:\PENGUINS or the sfx won't work. The installer won't let you install it anywhere else, but of course you could mess it up otherwise.

Reply 4 of 7, by NiTROACTiVE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

EDIT: The game must be in C:\PENGUINS or the sfx won't work. The installer won't let you install it anywhere else, but of course you could mess it up otherwise.

Ok, I did that, and I got sound! But I have some questions:

1. Does the folder with all the Mutant Penguin Files have to be named "PENGUINS", or will the sound not work if I rename the folder?
2. Does the folder with all the Mutant Penguin Files have to be in the section C:\PENGUINS, or could I put it somewhere else like C:\DOS\PENGUINS?

Reply 5 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The game looks for its files in C:\PENGUINS, and that's hard-coded into the executable. If you change the drive or path in any way (different name, additional subfolders, whatever) the sound, and possibly other things like your settings, won't work.

Reply 6 of 7, by NiTROACTiVE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

The game looks for its files in C:\PENGUINS, and that's hard-coded into the executable. If you change the drive or path in any way (different name, additional subfolders, whatever) the sound, and possibly other things like your settings, won't work.

I see, well thanks for telling me about putting the files in C:\PENGUINS, it helped me get sound! 😁

Reply 7 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[Thread moved to DOSBox Games/Apps. Section]