VOGONS

nascar racing

Topic actions

First post, by resin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't hear any music while playing the game Nascar Racing (Papyrus 94)..

I do hear music during the intro and credits, but nowhere else. It's been a long time since I've played this game, but I thought music was supposed to play during menus and racing as well. Plus there is a Music option under Sound options, so I'm pretty certain there should be music playing at these times.. Can someone confirm if there is indeed supposed to be music playing during menu screens and races, and if so how I can get it to work?

This is the full hd installation and I've run setup and can hear audio for both the digital sound and midi tests. I thought maybe its a red book issue so I also tried mounting the cdrom but still didn't work.. out of ideas. Thank you

Reply 4 of 15, by resin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did use imgmount to mount the cue as I said earlier.. here is the complete mounts..

mount c "c:\games\nascar racing"
[mount d...]
c:
nascar -h -f
exit

Where I typed "mount d..." is where I've tried placing each of the mounts I mentioned in my last post. The -h enables SVGA gfx and -f enables Soundblaster FM sound (but I've also tried running without these extra commands and still get no music). Can you guys tell me if you actually have this game and hear music playing while racing? It could be that there never was supposed to be music while racing, I'm still not certain about this. In the readme it says that the songs are included on the cd and that you can play them on an audio player but doesn't mention anything about the songs being played in the actual game. But then again there is a "Music" option in game that lets you control its volume.. So if nothing else I'd like to know if there is indeed supposed to be music playing while racing so I know whether or not I'm stressing over nothing..

Reply 6 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If all else fails, start fresh and install the game again from cd IN Dosbox. You are again mounting the game folder as root. This indicates you might not have installed it in Dosbox.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 15, by resin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did install in DOSBox, I've installed and uninstalled several times, and there are 2 audio tracks listed in the cue. I already knew there are audio tracks, but I want to know if they are only for playing in audio players or are they also supposed to be playing while racing.

Reply 8 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try to install in the folder the installer suggests and not in the root of the mounted c drive.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 15, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

also can you play the tracks in some player? how long the tracks are?

resin wrote:

I do hear music during the intro and credits, and there are 2 audio tracks listed in the cue.

track 1 - intro
track 2 - credits
so everything looks fine 😉

Reply 10 of 15, by resin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did try installing in the suggested folder too but still didn't work, and yes the audio tracks will play in a regular cd player. There are actually 3 tracks in all listed in cue but track 1 is game content (not audio). I was thinking the same thing that one track was for intro and the other for credits, but, although the music played during the intro is the same as track 2, the music played during the credits is not track 2 or 3.. So track 3 I still have not heard in game.

Reply 15 of 15, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
resin wrote:

Can you guys tell me if you actually have this game and hear music playing while racing? It could be that there never was supposed to be music while racing, I'm still not certain about this.

Nope the CD audio never played during play. The CD has music and it was never intended to play during the game as far as I know.
Quoted from NASCAR Racing's Readme.txt:

4. Audio CD Tracks In addition to the game on the CD-ROM we have shipped a couple of original songs which can be played on […]
Show full quote

4. Audio CD Tracks
In addition to the game on the CD-ROM we have shipped a couple of
original songs which can be played on any audio CD player. All you have to
do is put the CD-ROM in an audio CD player and select either track 2 or 3.

- WARNING do not play track 1 in your audio player, it contains the game -

Track 2, called "Race Riff," is a piece which was written and performed
by Rachel Bolan and Dave "Snake" Sabo of the band Skid Row.
(C) 1994 Rachel Bolan and Dave Sabo of Skid Row

Track 3, called "The Fastest Sport," is a piece which was written and
performed by the Fat Man and Team Fat.
(C) 1994 Fat Manor Publishing (BMI)