First post, by coolhaken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As the subject,
I tried to adjust official DOSBOX's cycle to 293 to approach 4.77MHz,
then played the game "Karateka".
The motion speed seems OK, but the sound played too fast 🙁
I don't know if this my problem or DOSBOX's.
So I add my configure file below.
Any suggestion ?

Attachments

• sshot-1.png
    Filename
    sshot-1.png
    File size
    8.41 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Adjust speed to 4.77MHz
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    dosboxconf.rar
    File size
    3.6 KiB
    Downloads
    259 downloads
    File comment
    The DOSBOX configure file.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The cycles don't (nor are intended to) match with a specific cpu speed.
if you use a different utility and you will see a different cycle count matching with the speed you want

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 4, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

first, what are you comparing to when you judge the sounds?

second, I don't have Karateka but you might want to try core=normal. This has helped me with some old/first-generation DOS games that show weird speedups / slowdowns in some parts.

like you I find that most XT-era games run best at a certain fixed speed (280 cycles for me), but there are exceptions. As Qbix said, you shouldn't rely on a benchmark / detection tool to provide a fixed cycle count for all games that assume a certain CPU speed - they all use different metrics and DOSBox isn't cycle-exact anyway.

however if there's no single config setting that produces a consistent behavior for the sounds AND the rest of the game, that's a different matter.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 3 of 4, by coolhaken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your reply.

I set the cycles to about 190 to get the normally(by my memorization) sounds.
But the protagonist's motion becomes too slow(by my memorization, too).
So I ask for help here.

Since DOSBOX can't provide exact cycles/speed,
is there any way/utility to determine the best(as near as I want) cycles to run a game ?
Or I can only try and error and everything is decided on my memorization ?

Reply 4 of 4, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

mostly trial and error. There's a thread in the patches forum about setting the cycles to approximate a given cpu at a given clock speed, but all those numbers will only be approximate. With a real cpu, each instruction takes a different number of cycles to execute, and DOSbox doesn't account for all of that (not to mention fpu, video ram speed, etc). Early games used a whole variety of methods to set the speed... so these numbers can be useful, but no single "cycles" setting can really ensure that *every* 8088-era game (for example) would run at the proper speed.

the Karateka issue seems to be a different problem... you say that no setting gets both sound AND animation to run at the proper speed (either sound is too fast or animation is too slow), so any number of cycles would probably be useless unless a workaround is found.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]