VOGONS

Lavacap Wont Run

Topic actions

First post, by xb2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,
I have the 1992 game Lavacap that i have been playing on Windows 98 for forever now, and i want to put it on my good computer. Ive tried a little before, and have never succeeded. Ive always done it with Windows Compatibility Mode for 98. Well, i got smart and now realize what i need to do.

Anyways, i downloaded Dosbox, and ive learned how to use it somewhat(through knowledge of Command Prompt and its built in help) and i cant get this game to run. I attached a file with the error messege. I tried changing the ram from 16 mb to 32 mb and 64 mb. And i messed with the XMS and EMS. Nothing changes.

I just want to play this game that is 4 years older then me! haha

Thanks for any help i can get.[/img]

Reply 1 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try:
memsize = 8
core=full
loadfix lavacap.exe

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 16, by xb2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok i did the first 2 and it didnt phase it. Im not sure what the Loadfix part is. Could you explain?
Thanks

Reply 4 of 16, by xb2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still didnt fix it. Although the code in the errow messege is different, it think.

I dont know if this would help or not, but it gave me that same error when trying to run it directly off of XP or Win7.

Also, i know dos doesnt support usb keyboard and mouse. Do i need to be using PS/2 keyboard and mouse to make this work?

Reply 6 of 16, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Shareware versions 1.1 and 2.1 are working with no apparent problem in DOSBox 0.74 with default settings. What version do you have? It should say on the title screen.

Do any messages appear in the DOSBox Status Window after running the game?

You said the same kind of error occurs in Windows, so maybe you have a bad file and just need to replace it from a known good source.

Reply 7 of 16, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

since you migrated from win98 to NT based windows, you might also want to check if the files' Access Control List (ACL) were being sets properly.

shareware version (2.1) also works under winXP cmd with graphical error, but it still playable.

-fffuuu

Reply 8 of 16, by xb2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nothing appears in the status windows. Its version 1.1

Im sorry, but i dont know what ACL is. Is it possible im missing some file or something got corrupted? Is there any files for the program other then the Executable? because i think i only have the Exe.

Reply 9 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The problem regarding the "ACL" is that the program might be running in a folder that it does not have write-access to. Try running DOSBox as a user with Administrator privileges and see if that solves the problem. (Running DOSBox as a user with Administrator privileges is usually not a very good idea, but it's worth a try for troubleshooting purposes.)

However, since you seem to be running Windows Vista or 7, this is probably not the problem.

xb2003 wrote:

Is it possible im missing some file or something got corrupted? Is there any files for the program other then the Executable? because i think i only have the Exe.

Yes, it is extremely likely that you need other files. Try downloading the game again from somewhere.

Last edited by Jorpho on 2012-02-10, 21:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 16, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

In addition to the executable, there should also be overlay files (.OV1 through .OV4 in the case of shareware v1.1); but I doubt you're missing those because the game would halt at startup and tell you that there are missing files. Most likely you have a corrupt file.

Reply 11 of 16, by xb2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have all of them. I attached an image of the folder's contents. Anything seem out of the Ordinary? Ill try running dosbox as an admin real quick.

And if that fails, i will go and retry to transfer it from 98.

Where the heck would i download it from? i cant even find anything about lavacap on the internet. I searched this forum for anythingabout Lavacap, and found nothing. I was kinda wondering if it was long and forgotten even by the dos people, but oviously its not.

Reply 12 of 16, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I reproduced the error with a zero-byte SOUND.TMP file in the game folder, as you have, so delete that. It's not a distributed file, and although the game does try to open it, I've not seen it try to create it.

Reply 13 of 16, by xb2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Muhaha that worked. It runs. Its wierd to play lavacap with a lazer mouse. Ill get used to it. Anyways, thanks. for helping me get this working.

Quick question, good site to find dos games, and any you would recommend?

Thanks,
Jesse

Reply 14 of 16, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The links page on dosbox.com has some good places to find DOS games.

Reply 16 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xb2003 wrote:

Where the heck would i download it from? i cant even find anything about lavacap on the internet. I searched this forum for anythingabout Lavacap, and found nothing. I was kinda wondering if it was long and forgotten even by the dos people, but oviously its not.

I would suggest http://www.soleau.com/dosgame.html , but all they have there now is Oilcap and Wall Pipe. I wonder what the story is there? Regardless, there's numerous Google hits for <soleau lavacap>.

Aside from RGB Classic Games, http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/ is also quite nice.