VOGONS

First post, by coolhaken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everybody,

I remember that "Ikari2:Victory Road" can run with hercules adapter.
But in official DOSBox 0.74, there is a problem booting this game in hercules mode.
Please look the two snapshots. Many words disappear in DOSBox 0.74.
What I do is to set machine=hercules in dosbox.conf than boot the game image.
This is DOSBox's issue or I set any option wrong ?
Please help me, thank you.

Attachments

• 0001.png
    Filename
    0001.png
    File size
    2.15 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Title screen snapshot via M.E.S.S
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 0002.png
    Filename
    0002.png
    File size
    1.46 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Title screen snapshot via DOSBox 0.74
    File license

Reply 1 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The game is trying to switch the system into mode 4 while Hercules graphics are active so that the BIOS will draw graphic characters in the B800h segment instead of regular text in the B000h segment. DOSBox doesn't support this trick and refuses to set mode 4 for machine=hercules.

It might work if you could load a PC system BIOS in DOSBox, as you do in MESS, but I think the lack of floppy controller hardware emulation, and maybe other stuff as well, makes that impracticable.

Reply 3 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Is more than the title screen affected by the issue? I hardly think it's crucial to have that text when you already know to press F1 or F2 for number of players, and J or K for input device. CGA should not have the issue, so I think DOSBox is still quite a good option for playing the game today.

BTW, it's possible to load Magic Key in upper memory before booting the game, and it then thinks it's running in CGA... is that cheating? 😉

Attachments

• vicroad.png
    Filename
    vicroad.png
    File size
    8.22 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 5 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Like so:

ems false
xms true
umb true
lhup
lh mkfile

You can get LHUP from here to work around an issue with loading programs in upper memory; and you probably already know that Magic Key works in SVN but not in 0.74.

Reply 8 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I doubt the game cares about EMS one way or the other, being a booter. I listed all three memory settings to point out that XMS is needed for UMBs, but EMS is not needed.

BTW, I made a DOSBox patch for the issue that I will submit to the devs for consideration.