VOGONS

First post, by Blacksword

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, having nearly ripped all my hair out at the moment i've decided to come here for help. I'm not sure why but it seems that Imperium Galactica isn't really supported any more. Because i can get from 30 seconds to 3 minutes of gameplay before it crashes. sometimes it has to do with the DynCore.. other times its a Internal or External error. And other times... it simply crashes.

The settings i have it at are:
Cycle = max
Core = Auto
Frameskip = 0
And XMS, EMS, UMB = true.

If anyone could help me fix the problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I have read the README, even done alot of the advice that it gives (Like re-installing dosbox and running it straight after, and setting Cycle to a specific number, to name a few)

Reply 1 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Does it work with older versions of DOSBox? It is perfectly possible to have several versions of DOSBox installed simultaneous.

You have tried different cycles, how about different core settings?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 7, by Blacksword

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I decided to install version 0.65 ... in which i found out it works well with no crashes (the sound stutters a bit though), however i am curious as to why the newer version aren't compatible and the older ones are.... its alittle backwards... and i would prefer not to have multiple versions if DOSbox installed because the newer one seems to have some compatibility issues. Thanks for the help though.

Reply 3 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Well, one of the changes between 0.65 and 0.72 is that the defaults for CPU core was changed from 'normal' to 'dynamic'. Maybe there is a bug in the dynamic core? Try setting core=normal in 0.72.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 7, by SignoArrogant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good day.

My salvation for glitches.
I installed a dosbox 0.74 after i lost my old perfectly running version to Imperium Galactica. So a tried a lot of options with change, but i guess and see, for me what it works is the SoundBlaster emulation options.
Here is what i use:

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=5
dma=3
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100

After that option i've been executed again the install.exe, from the IMPERIUM directory, sound card detection, save, and run imperium.exe!
From that time there were no any sound glitches and i even can play with the game in fullscreen. No picture glitches, not even in the SAVE/LOAD menu, and of course no random freeze. And all these were solved with that sound options. Interesting.

My computer is an AMd 3000+ with win7 64bit. It's a 1 core CPU.
Maybe it helps. 😀
Greetings from Hungary.

Reply 7 of 7, by wiedzmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greets to Hungary - somewhat thx to your country for this amazing game, but now I'll go strait to the point :
through diffterent and many tests I ran with this game I encountered most difficult issue with the game. Though game runs nearly perfect it has one BIG issue in video streaming - some of videos outpaces my comprehesion at a great speed while other shows ideal framerate and the third ones either hangs dosbox or creeps so slow as of wanted to made me bored seeing one image before chaging it to next one in a streamline

Other than that game runs perfectly especcially if I not come up to a "torpid" type of video which, alas, emerges at REAL random
Sometimes sound works at a different speed (i noticed three of that speeds and only fastest of them is really buggy, I've not heard the game real sound so I can't say which sound rate is a must) but that not interferes with the gameplay stability nor with it's main speed.
Tried out SB16 SBPro and GUS - best sound is GUS off course but no major issues on all mentioned "devices" (not even minor ones) other than explained above.
I experimented with :
[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=fixed
output= all used

[dosbox]
machine=svga_s3
memsize=24,16,32 - all usable freely

[cpu]
core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=13000 (on my Core 2 Duo 3.00GHz) - that seemed the closest to reality

both disc images I mounted with imgmount for change with Ctrl+F4 -labels intact off course

And the last thing -
[dos]
ems=false ,

as someone advised
I run the game scaled instead of fullscreened - it's easier keeps it's aspect and looks more natural, while fullscreen are did some headaches to me, so i declined using it

Last edited by wiedzmax on 2012-06-19, 07:01. Edited 1 time in total.