VOGONS

LSL7 on DosBox Turbo for Android

Topic actions

First post, by kakasuke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

Has anyone had any luck getting Leisure Suit Larry 7 to work with Dosbox Turbo? Specifically the DosBox Manager that runs along side it?

I have LSL7 on disc so have copied all the files onto my computer and then transferred it onto my Galaxy S3. But I am stumped on how to run it from there? Any info would be great!

Reply 3 of 23, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Come on, that's basic DOSBox knowledge. You run it exactly as you would do in the desktop version.

1. copy the game files to your phone, e.g. /sdcard/Games/LSL
2. open dosbox.conf (/sdcard)
3. set memsize=16
4. set cycles=max or whatever cycle speed you like; the S3 should be capable of 25000-30000 cycles, at least my Note 2 is.
5. scroll to the end of the file and modify the line that says "mount c: /sdcard/" to "mount c:/sdcard/games/" (without the quotes of course)
6. Start DOSBox Turbo, type "cd lsl" + [Enter]
7. run install (or setup, whatever it's called) to configure sound. DTurbo uses Sound Blaster 16 at IRQ7 by default.
8. Run the game.

If you want to add this to the launcher: create a new profile, long-press the profile icon, chose "Edit profile", go to DosBox Settings, tick "Manual Mode", chose config location (unless you want to overwrite your default dosbox.conf), and do the same steps as above 3. - 5., and add the lines to start the game in the [autoexec] section.

If it still doesn't work you're doing something wrong; DTurbo is based on quite recent SVN, and it's exactly as compatible as the Windows versiion.

Good luck...

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 4 of 23, by kakasuke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the reply. It's helped. But I'm still struggling. This is what ive entered in my autoexec:

mount c:/sdcard
c:
cd sierra
cd lsl7dos
lsl7does

But it returns this error:
Illegal command: CheckCD
Illegal command: vesatest
Illegal command: C:\sierra\lsl7dos\sier

Obviously I can't put the cd. Any suggestions on where I am going wrong?

Reply 5 of 23, by kakasuke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've now moved all the contents of the cd into the installed folder and I get this error:

illegal command: vesatest
MsgBox called before errorMgr initialised:
Error 28: Can't find audio driver 'DACPRO16.DRV
Please run INSTALL

When I do install the game it does come up with some errors saying it cant install certain files. Linked maybe?

Reply 6 of 23, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Xelasarg instructions will not work. If you copy all of the files to the device, install will only work to configure audio hardware. There is more to installing the game than selecting audio hardware. Paths need to be set, too. Additionally, f you want to not to have to mount a CD, you will need to manually configure the game. If you cannot install it to the device, it is best to do what the DOSBox author said. Ask the people you bought it from. They are the one's that need to support their product, especially if they are charging for it. It is not for the DOSBox team to support something that they did not port.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Make an image of the cd, imgmount

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 23, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, my instructions were rather general because I don't own the game myself. That's why I said "do it like you would in Windows". It just seemed to me the OP had no idea at all how to operate DOSBox (@kakasuke: sorry if I was wrong btw 😉 ).
Anyway, the author of DTurbo should be able to help if you ask specifically enough, but as it's not an issue related to the port itself, you should be fine with the DOSBox readme.

You can install and configure the game on your PC, then copy everything to your phone. Just make sure you use the same mountings (i.e. game dir and imgmount cd drive letter) when you set up the profile.

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 9 of 23, by kakasuke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the comments thus far. I've still not been successful but I guess its a learning curve.

In regards to contacting the creator of the app. I have tried but am yet to hear back. I ask on these forums as I know that you all have valuable information and maybe ideas that could help.

Not only have I tried installing and playing it via my phone, i've also tried on my Mac with the same problem popping up! If I could find a way to install and indeed play the game on my Mac I would gladly move it all over to my phone and copy the process...

Reply 10 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Follow the 60 seconds guide on the mac.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, that's why we told you to first install on a desktop machine instead of a mobile one.

Reply 15 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Then please be more descriptive. Write down your mountings ehen you installed and later when you played. Also the game might need an image (bin/cue format) of the CD.

Reply 16 of 23, by kakasuke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so on my Mac I've mounted my virtual drive as the C drive. To install I do as follows:

cd lsl7
install

When it asks if I want to perform hardware tests: NO
Install to what drive: C
Sound: Sound Blaster
Directory c:\dosgames\lsl7

I accept config and select a large installation so it installs as much as possible.
I got the following errors while installing:
Cant find input file:
c:..\music\22s16\2*.aud
c:..\music\22s16\3*.aud
c:..\music\22s16\1*.aud
c:..\music\22s16\4*.aud
c:..\music\22s16\5*.aud
c:..\drivers\*.drv
c:..\w*.bmp
c:..\sier.exe
c:l7check.bat
c:vesatest.exe
c:install.exe
c:install.scr
c:install.txt
c:install.hlp
c:*.drv
c:..\version
c:..\sierra.err

It then prompts me in order to play the game I need to be in this directory:
C:\dosgames\lsl7 and just to type LSL7dos.

To play I type this in Dosbox (pre mounted):

cd dosgames
cd lsl7
lsl7dos

It then returns with this:

Illegal command: vesatest
Illegal command: C:\dosgames\lsl7\sier

Reply 17 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Give your exact mounting commands. What virtual drive do you mean.

Reply 19 of 23, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kakasuke wrote:

mount c ~/dosgames

if it asks for this folder, this is the one located in your user's folder (which ~ stands for) , so the result of ~/dosgames is
<Your username>/dosgames

Does this fldr exist?

Klimawandel.