VOGONS

First post, by spare-flair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I run Martian Memorandum and go through a realspeech sequence (MM's revolutionary [at the time] synthesized speech) whenever I talk to anybody at all, the game completely freezes and dosbox (0.60 and CVS) and dosbox debug report nothing out of the ordinary. Just that the soundblaster DMA was accessed (When the person spoke) and after that, I lose all control over the game. Hitting keys just brings up SDL failures or unrecognized keyboard commands.

Any ideas?

Dosbox just keeps flashing SDL Lock Fail over and over again.

Activating bistromatic drive!

Reply 2 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think this topic has been up before.. Is the gaurd supposed to say
f*** off ?
I believe it's fixed in next version or the solution in the thread.
Either way it's fixable. Just search on this forums

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 8, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know if there is a fix for the RealSound or not, but it will not work with anything but TRUE DOS. However, DOSBOX does a good ADLIB emulation so you should use ADLIB instead of RealSound. That is what I do.

Reply 4 of 8, by spare-flair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately, I cannot find the configuration menu. This is the Martian Memorandum directory as I found on my old 80MB (yes MB) harddrive and there is no installation file.

Reply 6 of 8, by spare-flair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried editing the file with a hex editor but I didn't know what the values affected and it never worked. It was much simpler than I thought, I could have just changed the numbers with notepad. I'll just delete it now.

Reply 7 of 8, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you haven't figured it out yet, the EXE file automatically setup the CFG file the first time you play, so you need to just delete the CFG file completely. When you start the game, it will look for the CFG file and when it fails to find it, it will then run your setup. Do not choose RealSound.

Reply 8 of 8, by aretha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A newbie with dosbox but I've got past early speech in game. Just get silence for voice sequences (set for adlib) which is fine and music plays ok but an early 'video sequence' (of young woman about to be kidnapped) runs for a couple of seconds and freezes/crashes. Are there video/display options with dosbox - not that I'd know what to do - but thought I'd ask. have searched forums but only found sound issues not video ones. Any help would be appreciated.