VOGONS

No mouse

Topic actions

First post, by QuestforGaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok on SQ4 when the opening screen comes up i can only use keyboard and not my mouse. on installation i use microsoft compatible mouse. but when i have it set to roland music and sound blaster audio the mouse works. but when i change it to soundlbaster/adlib the music is great and i change audio to thunderboard the sound effects are awesome. i use a sound balster aduigy 2 card with 6.1 speakers. if anyone knows how to get the mouse working please reply.

Reply 2 of 11, by QuestforGaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no man you got it wrong. if you know what space quest is, their installation program has choices you can choose from for example you have:

Music: 1.roland mt-32
2.sound blaster/adlib
3.ibm internal speaker
4.general MIDI
Audio: 1.sound blaster
2.thunderboard
3.disney sound source

now when i choose for instance sound blaster/ adlib and thunderboard there is no mouse support. but when i change sound blaster/adlib to disney sound source i have mouse support. but no speech and sound effects. and i know disney sound source has speech because i called someone and they use it. i am just wondering how to get my mouse working, because playing sq4 with the keyboard just plain sux.

If you want to know my sound card it is a sound blaster audigy 2 and i use 6.1 speakers made by Creative.

Reply 3 of 11, by monkeysports

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having this same problem. I have been installing with the Sound Blaster / AdLib card (or compatibles) for the music, and Thunderboard for the Audio, since this seems to be the only combination that will allow me to play the game with both music and sound effects.

I am installing with the "Use Microsoft Compatible Mouse" option selected, but when the game starts, it doesn't recognize the mouse. Are there any fixes for this?

Thanks.

FYI: I am running DOSBox on a MacBook Pro running Mac OS 10.6.2.

Reply 4 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What dosbox version is that? Is it the latest one?

compare game's configuration file (i think resource.cfg - should have the most recent file date) of both settings. I suppose one has broken mouse line, the other has broken sound lines, so you should be able to edit them to make working properly.

Reply 7 of 11, by monkeysports

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how this helps me. I opened the resource.cfg file, but I'm not sure what to correct. I thought the problem was going to be that one of the drivers was missing due to incorrect or incomplete installation. But even when I install it so that there's mouse support, the mouse driver file (STDMOUSE.drv) seems to be absent from the folder.

I thought if I installed it twice (once with each configuration), I could copy the relevant file (either the mouse driver or the sound driver) from one folder into the other. But, as I said, the mouse driver does not seem to be present with either configuration, and all the sound drivers appear to be present, even when I install for different ones.

It also seems that some of the sounds (talking) and the mouse both work when I install with standard configuration, but the music and some of the higher-pitched sounds (like the time vortex forming) don't.

Reply 9 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just run INSTALL.EXE in DOSBox. If you don't want to do that, just use this installer:

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/New … allers.html#SQ4

It will set it up for you automatically.

Reply 10 of 11, by monkeysports

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was installing from DOSBox. Eventually I found a combination that works: Sound Blaster for both Audio and Music. This is not the default, and does not result in the best quality music, but everything works now, so I'm happy.

Thanks for the advice, though.