VOGONS

First post, by ColdBrain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I bought the GOG releases of Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior which come bundled with DOSBox. The games run perfectly aside from one problem. There are some texture errors which happen sometimes, mostly with the HUD weapon sprites. Examples in the attachments below.

The same thing happens in Shadow Warrior, although it's less noticeable. I know a thread here on vogons recommended to use vesa_noflb as the emulated machine, and it does indeed work, but it was pointed out this solution wasn't ideal for some reason. Limiting CPU cycles gets rid of the texture bugs, but introduces slowdowns.

How can I solve this problem? I know of people who play these games without issues on DOSBox, so I'm hitting my head against a wall trying to solve it. System specs are: W7 64-bit, Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 8GB RAM DDR3, ATI HD6970 2GB (not sure if relevant? AFAIK these games don't use 3D accelerated hardware).

I could just use EDuke32 for Duke Nukem but I have my own reasons for using the DOS version (DOSBox emulates Sound Blaster music fonts, which EDuke32 can't), and also there's not a satisfactory Shadow Warrior Windows port (SWP hasn't been updated in ages and JFSW is buggy). So please don't suggest me that. šŸ˜œ

Thanks in advance and thanks for DOSBox, too.

Reply 1 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is not a DOSBox problem as this also occurs on very fast machines in native DOS. Lower your cycles or change your resolution.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 3, by ColdBrain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help, I'll try adjusting cycles.

I thought with the cycles setting to auto it would pick the correct setting? Doesn't seem to be the case, as the game still runs ultrafast with cycles set to auto and gives me this issue.

Reply 3 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On auto, when it detects a protected mode program, it'll go to maximum possible cycles you can emulate (to be fair, auto was implemented when people complained constantly about how slow Doom runs at 3000 cycles being the normal default, and there was no Core i7). You can set this to use a percentage of the max instead.

apsosig.png
long live PCem