VOGONS

First post, by Bluefoot_Bandit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I searched around and couldn't find an answer to this specific question so here it is. Hope you dos wizards don't laugh too hard at this.

So I play quake on dosbox, and the forums here have helped me a lot in getting it to work properly, but there is one thing I can't figure out. If one enters +mlook into the command line, one is able to free look without holding any buttons. However, when one enters +strafe, so that one may strafe without holding anything, it disables the ability to free look left and right, effectively preventing any turning.

So anyway, my question is, is it possible to enable strafing and freelook at the same time, or does one shut the other off, i.e. the system is not advanced enough to do that? I'm trying to have it work like I set up all my modern FPS where left or right is always strafe and one turns by looking in that direction. Is this possible? Please dos gurus, enlighten me.

Reply 1 of 14, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

+strafe

Type: Action

Binding: ALT

Description: When used the turn left and turn right keys will make the player move left and move right.

Note: The keys bound to the +left and +right will function as if they were bound to +moveleft and +moveright. This command will also affect the mouse, so that when the mouse was moved left and right the player looked left and right, now the player will move left and right instead.

Also, did you know this?
...create a file called autoexec.cfg in the id1/ directory and put in the line +mlook into that file. By doing this the game will automatically execute the autoexec.cfg file and it will also active that command.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 2 of 14, by Bluefoot_Bandit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the response, but that doesn't answer my question. I want to be able to simultaneously have freelook without holding any keys, and have strafing without holding any keys. I want to be able to strafe by hitting left or right, and still be able to freelook left and right.

Reply 4 of 14, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bluefoot_Bandit wrote:

I want to be able to simultaneously have freelook without holding any keys, and have strafing without holding any keys. I want to be able to strafe by hitting left or right, and still be able to freelook left and right.

Then just reconfigure the keys in the game. There are separate keys for turning and strafing.

Reply 5 of 14, by Bluefoot_Bandit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The strafe key is a key one must hold down though, which then changes the turn left or turn right into strafe. And when one strafes one cannot look left or right. There is no "strafe left" or "strafe right" option. So essentially it seems to be impossible to strafe and look about simultaneously, which means one cannot turn and strafe simultaneously, which basically destroys my style of movement/play.

Unfortunately I don't have internet access to get a different port like suggested above. I am at work atm, which is how I'm on here.

I suppose I will just have to develop a new style.

Thanks for the replies though guys.

Reply 6 of 14, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bluefoot_Bandit wrote:

There is no "strafe left" or "strafe right" option.

Yes there is. In the game options they are called "step left" and "step right".

Bluefoot_Bandit wrote:

it seems to be impossible to strafe and look about simultaneously, which means one cannot turn and strafe simultaneously

Works fine here. WASD + mouselook, DOSBox-0.74, Quake v.1.08

Reply 7 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

edit id1/autoexec.cfg , add +mlook , done, no sourceport needed.

generally players don't use strafe modifiers, that's a Wolf3D holdover. Dedicated strafe Left/Right keys FTW

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 14, by ColdBrain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

generally players don't use strafe modifiers, that's a Wolf3D holdover. Dedicated strafe Left/Right keys FTW

Even in DOS Doom? Understandable if playing a source port with mouselook, but in vanilla the controls are mostly the same as Wolf3D.

Reply 10 of 14, by ColdBrain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's true, but I never imagined it was easy to play it like that considering the modifier was conveniently placed near the left Ctrl key, so I just resorted to the modifier and arrow keys.

Nowadays there are even people who use WASD in Wolf3D despite the game not being capable of Y axis. The mouse is used to turn around and eventually creep around corners.

Reply 11 of 14, by Bluefoot_Bandit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hah, yeah I feel like a real dumbass. Zirkoni, you are totally right, I just had to bind the "step left" and "step right" keys respectively. I was just thinking about it way too hard and when I didn't see a "strafe *direction*" designation after I learned about the whole "+strafe" capability and ran into the turning problem I described. No wonder I never found this question posed anywhere. I should probably lay off the smoke for a little while.

I won't, but I probably should.

Thanks everyone, for your responses, and for not making me feel too retarded.