VOGONS

First post, by Envisaged0ne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed in the compatibility list, that Win95 is currently supported. I installed Win95 and it boots up just fine. I'm using the svga_s3 graphics driver and it seems to work without any problems. But when I try playing some games, like Win KQ5 & Return of Arcade games, they will play fine for about a minute, then DosBox completely crashes, giving me a message stating DosBox Dos Emulator has stopped working. Is this just a known issue and there are still bugs that need to be worked out? Or does anyone know of a solution that might fix this problem?

Reply 1 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure where you found this, but Win9x is not officially supported. While it can be installed, don't expect any kind of stability.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He is trying to run Win95 in DOSBox, not the other way around. He didn't say what his host system is.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 7, by Envisaged0ne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Correct Collector 😀 I'm running Win 7 64 bit and wanted to run Win95 through DosBox for the 16 bit games. Anyway, I actually found the solution to the problem. I googled around and found out I had to install a S3 Trio32/64 PCI graphics driver. Now the games play perfectly fine. I assumed Win95 was supported because I checked the compatibility list from the DosBox website and it shows the status of Windows 95 as Supported for version 0.74, with a green bar indicating it should run fairly well

http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?letter=W

Reply 5 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keep in mind that that list is maintained/updated by users, not the DOSBox team, so take it with a grain of salt.