VOGONS

First post, by potionmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some time ago I was assisted with compiling a DosBox MB6 version for Ubuntu that allowed me to print from dBase 5.
I am still using this version, but I would like to find out whether it is possible to port this Linux version to Windows, as it runs dBase 5 very well indeed, or modify another MB6 version so that it will do the same under Windows.
At present I am still running a machine with Windows XP and it is the lack of Dos and thus the ability to run dBase that is holding me back from going to a later version of Windows.
Any help and or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Paul.

Reply 2 of 2, by potionmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Dominus, No it does not. You can do a directory list from the dos prompt that will either show up as a print file or (in my case - I have a printer connected to the parallel port) go directly to lpt1 and print depending on how you set the parallel port settings in DosBox.conf. But once dBase 5 loads it locks up when "set print on" is invoked or comes up with an error. I sort of remember that I was told that dBase 5 - and previous versions - need special access, but the changes I needed to make for Linux (Ubuntu) to get it all to run were provided to me; I merely followed instructions and compiled the result. I still have all the Linux files and can send these in a zip file as an email attachment. There is a version about called "DosBox Text Distribution" that does print from dBase, but it has a number of issues with the interface. Paul.