VOGONS

Need help with installing HARVESTER

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by brepak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Everyone,

If anyone could help me with this, much appreciated! Here are my system specs.

Motherboard: x86 Family 6 model 8 stepping 3
AT/AT Compatible
261,600 KB RAM

Video NVidia GeForce 256
Sound Soundblaster Audigy
OS MS Windows 2000

PROBLEM: As the forum suggested, the game only work supposedly when installed via DosBox. I've did that and configured my sound for the game to have NO DIGITAL DEVICE. Then I go to execute HARVEST.EXE. And I get this error

ERROR! [id:04c5] - "could not read abm_filename: 1:\graphic\other\wait.abm"

I get this error everytime I try to run the game. I have also read the readme.txt file. Thanks again.

There is no such thing as time, it is eternally revolving. The choices we make brings about changes and creates a facade of time.

Reply 6 of 24, by brepak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Qbix, try to search for my topic and you'll know what I mean. You gave me a quick answer that is obviously of no use to me. What I don't get is why do I have to list all of those things and end up getting a seven-word-irrelevant answer. For anyone reading this, if you plan to reply to this topic, please PLEASE PLEASE give me something I can do to resolve my problem.

There is no such thing as time, it is eternally revolving. The choices we make brings about changes and creates a facade of time.

Reply 7 of 24, by master333

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi brepak,

i read your problem post and this also happened to me, fortunately i have a solution!

open dosbox
the following is based on my PC buyt you can ammend some details to reflect yours:
My Pc has:

d: as the cd-rom drive with harvester cdrom 1 in it.
c: as the hard drive where harvester is installed to c:\harvest

so i typed the following:

mount d d:\ -t cdrom (enter)
mount c c:\ (enter)
c: (enter)
cd harvest (enter)
harvest (enter)

that should run the game for you...now all i need to figure out is how to swap to disc 2!

Reply 9 of 24, by master333

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi brepak,

update: final fix including cd swapping!

open dosbox
the following is based on my PC buyt you can ammend some details to reflect yours:
My Pc has:

d: as the cd-rom drive with harvester cdrom 1 in it.
c: as the hard drive where harvester is installed to: c:\harvest

so i typed the following:

mount c c:\ (enter)
mount d d:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0(enter)
c: (enter)
cd harvest (enter)
harvest (enter)

that should run the game for you including to enable you to swap discs when prompted by the game.

Reply 11 of 24, by brepak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, If you could help me to get it to start that would be great. I did as you suggested but it came up a screen with a background of a swirling bluish color and then it stops running. I tried to mount the drives either way but didn't get to play yet. But it's a start for me. Your continued input is much appreciated.

Reply 12 of 24, by master333

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi brepak,

i have some good news for you:

ok so, the bluish background that you are seeing is the introductionary company logo of the game. What this means is 2 things.

1. You have successfully loaded the game
2. I suspect the reason why you cannot get any further is because of your PC's RAM.

Let me explain, I have 1gb of memory RAM in my PC and the only thing that still runs really slowly is the beginning FMV of harvester* so in order to get past that and onto running the game at a respectable speed, I press ESC or SPACE bar to skip this so that you can begin the game without the PC crashing trying to load the most hardworking part of the game.

so i suggest that you run it again and when the bluish screen comes up try every typical keyboard command and mouse button press to skip it to go straight into the game.

if this doesnt work then you can do 1 of 3 things:
1.buy more RAM
2. wait for next version of DosBox
3.load up harvester on a Windows 95 machine

let me know what happens!

* (which you can see anyway by watching the making of AVI located on either disc1 or disc 3)

Reply 14 of 24, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
master333 wrote:

1.buy more RAM

If this concerns running the game in DOSBOX, then it is nonsense. DOSBOX memory (up to 64 MB) is configurable in DOSBOX.CONF.
It does not matter whether you have physically 256 MB or 16 GB. 😀

Mirek

Reply 15 of 24, by brepak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Just so everyone who has the same problem I do. Here's the temporary solution so far. Follow Master333's instructions. It does work. However, the version of DosBox needs to be 0.61. Does NOT work in version 0.60. Also, the game works when I start with the commands:

mount c c:\harvest
then with mount e e:\ -t cdrom -usecd o(letter)

Just need to figure out a way so the game won't hang up with the loading of the movies and all. Thanks everyone.

Reply 16 of 24, by brepak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, in addition, follow mirekluza's instruction in increasing memory if you need more. During gameplay, make sure to increase CPU cycles. Use ESC to skip the movie sequences.

Reply 17 of 24, by brepak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys I'm back:

It's kind of slow to run harvester off the CDs. Is there anyway to copy all three CDs onto the hard drive and run them from there? Your continued input is much appreciated.

Reply 18 of 24, by tomlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes you can copy the files into a directory and mount that directory
as a cdrom. use this:

mount e c:\dir -t cdrom

"e" is the cdrom drive, "c" is the harddisc, "dir" is the directory
were you copied the cd files into.

The only problem is that everytime I have to swap cd's the game just wont respond (I have this with "phantasmagoria)
take a look at my problem:
Mounting directiories as CD-ROMS

let me know if you find a solution, I have a copy of harvester too