VOGONS

First post, by mccorkled

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I try to launch the game it says that I need a CD driver.
Here if my config.

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be ru -ioctln at startup.
imgmount D "Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Microsoft MS-DOS\ROMS\Legend of Kyrandia - Malcolm's Revenge, The.iso" -t cdrom
mount C "Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Microsoft MS-DOS\ROMS\Legend of Kyrandia - Malcolm's Revenge, The"
c:
malcolm

I read another thread that said to add -oist (or something like that) after the -t cdrom

Doing that got rid of the error but a new one comes up stating that I don't have enough memory to run the game. Anyone have this working properly? I own the cd so maybe there is a way I can just take the contents of the cd off of it and put it in the game folder alone?

This is the last game from my childhood that I need to get working 😀

Reply 1 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should probably just use ScummVM for this one. (Doesn't Hyperspin support that?)

mccorkled wrote:

I read another thread that said to add -oist (or something like that) after the -t cdrom

Doing that got rid of the error but a new one comes up stating that I don't have enough memory to run the game.

1. Saying "-oist (or something like that)" is a terrible way to ask for help.
2. You probably mean "-ioctl". It looks like you accidently put it randomly in the previous line, where it will do nothing.
3. "-ioctl" is only used with "mount" and not "imgmount", so it won't help you here.
4. Since nothing was changed, it's not clear why this got rid of the error. What, exactly, is the config you used?

I own the cd so maybe there is a way I can just take the contents of the cd off of it and put it in the game folder alone?

That's what the .iso already is.

What is the exact error message that the game is giving you?

Try "loadfix malcolm" instead of just "malcolm".

Reply 2 of 18, by mccorkled

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

You should probably just use ScummVM for this one. (Doesn't Hyperspin support that?)

I don't want to setup a different emulator for 1 single game.

Jorpho wrote:

2. You probably mean "-ioctl". It looks like you accidently put it randomly in the previous line, where it will do nothing.

I had it after -t cdrom like I mentioned before. I must have also placed it in the other spot by accident.

Jorpho wrote:

4. Since nothing was changed, it's not clear why this got rid of the error. What, exactly, is the config you used?

The one I posted in the first message. Here is the full config http://pastebin.com/c99Qefm0

Jorpho wrote:

Try "loadfix malcolm" instead of just "malcolm".

That didn't work.

Jorpho wrote:

What is the exact error message that the game is giving you?

A CD-ROM device driver is required to run Legend of Kyrandia - Malcolm's Revenge.

Before when I added -ioctl after -t cdrom there was some sort of memory error. I just tried to recreate that and it did not do it.

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mccorkled wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

I don't want to setup a different emulator for 1 single game.

It will probably be more difficult to get this working than it will be to use ScummVM. ScummVM is trivial to set up. Plus you'll probably want to use it again sooner or later.

Did you run the setup program on the CD? Did it offer to install to drive C?

Reply 4 of 18, by mccorkled

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I honestly have no use for ScummVM, all my DOS games are set up and this is the last one.

I did run the setup program and it is installed to the C

Reply 5 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So, what are the contents of the folder "Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Microsoft MS-DOS\ROMS\Legend of Kyrandia - Malcolm's Revenge, The" ?

Did the setup program install to C:\westwood\malcolm, or something? If so, then as I've explained before, you can't re-name the folder or otherwise mount things differently than they were mounted when you ran the setup program.

Reply 7 of 18, by mccorkled

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

So, what are the contents of the folder "Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Microsoft MS-DOS\ROMS\Legend of Kyrandia - Malcolm's Revenge, The" ?

Did the setup program install to C:\westwood\malcolm, or something? If so, then as I've explained before, you can't re-name the folder or otherwise mount things differently than they were mounted when you ran the setup program.

I appreciate the advise but 99% of games cannot install to the C: drive because that is where "Windows" is (would) be installed. Almost every game I have had to install went into C:\foldername\foldername and after install I moved it to the root directory of C. I don't rename any folders, I move all of the files from the installation directory into the gamename folder and then edit the .conf to account for the changes. As I have said many times, I have a ton of dos games working (using this method) and they ALL play completely fine.

collector wrote:

Just to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the image you made, try installing within DOSBox after mounting your original CD.

That is how I installed the game. Mounted the iso, d:\install, etc, etc.

Reply 9 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mccorkled wrote:

I have a ton of dos games working (using this method) and they ALL play completely fine.

Well, this one isn't. 😒

It's still not entirely clear to me what you're doing; that's why I asked: what are the contents of the folder "Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Microsoft MS-DOS\ROMS\Legend of Kyrandia - Malcolm's Revenge, The" ?

If you want a quick and dirty solution, try downloading CDEMU2 from http://www.filewatcher.com/m/cdemu2.zip.20145-0.html and running "cdemu2 d:" right before launching "malcolm" – though this really shouldn't be necessary.

Reply 10 of 18, by mccorkled

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Well, this one isn't. :blah: […]
Show full quote
mccorkled wrote:

I have a ton of dos games working (using this method) and they ALL play completely fine.

Well, this one isn't. 😒

It's still not entirely clear to me what you're doing; that's why I asked: what are the contents of the folder "Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Microsoft MS-DOS\ROMS\Legend of Kyrandia - Malcolm's Revenge, The" ?

If you want a quick and dirty solution, try downloading CDEMU2 from http://www.filewatcher.com/m/cdemu2.zip.20145-0.html and running "cdemu2 d:" right before launching "malcolm" – though this really shouldn't be necessary.

The contents of the folder you mentioned are all of the game files that were installed from the CD using DOSBox

Reply 11 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So, there's no subfolder or anything?

When you ran the installation program, did it offer to install to C:\WESTWOOD\MALCOLM ?

Reply 13 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Conceivable, yes, but generally one would not expect an ISO to be anything less than an accurate copy of at least the ISO filesystem of a CD.

Anyway, apparently CDEMU2 is all that is needed to get questionable copies working.

Reply 14 of 18, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some abandonware sites have ISOs that have been made from ripped copies. CD checks of the day could be the CD label or a file check, often of an inconsequential file from somewhere on the CD. An ISO made from a non original disc could be missing what ever it is checking for. It is also possible to make an imperfect image. This is why I was trying to get him to install from his actual CD rather than his ISO. If it works with the CD then we know that the image is bad. If not there is a problem with the disc. A process of elimination that he seems to be unwilling to try.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 15 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1st moved the topic, Dosbox questions in Dosbox forum
2nd do you have the original CD?
3rd try that first and install within Dosbox and before moving anything around keep the same mountings and test it.

Also you seem to have a misconception about installing to c:/ in Dosbox.
As you mount a folder as C:\ that folder is effectively the C:\ for Dosbox. So it doesn't matter anything about Windows...
Especially dos games that ran most from the CD-Rom install to a specific folder in C:\ and expect tobe run from there. If that folder is not in C:\ things are notworking for them.
Examples are Wing Commander 3, Worms and likely others as well.
Malcolm's Revenge might be one of them. Just because you haven't encountered it before, doesn't mean it's not a possible issue.
Other Dos games also have problems when the folder they installed to doesn't match the one they are running from, especially when run from the root of C:\ as you are doing.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 18, by mccorkled

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

So, there's no subfolder or anything?

When you ran the installation program, did it offer to install to C:\WESTWOOD\MALCOLM ?

Yes. I installed to that folder, and then took all of the contents and put them in the root folder. Also, I was the one that made the ISO. I did it for all my games a while back because I knew when I built my new computer (the one I am using) I was not going to include a cd drive since they are basically obsolete. The other 2 LoK games before this titled worked by installing them this way.

Reply 17 of 18, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just tested with my CD as well as an ISO i made from it. It is a very unpicky game. Simply mounting a folder as "c" and either the actual CD or imgmounting the ISO as "d" with the "-t cdrom" switch is enough. After running the installer and the setup the game loads just fine. No need for the "-ioctl" switch or to add the disc label. Running it with the same mountings or with the installed folder as the base of the "c:" drive makes no difference. Even removing the disc label from the ISO made no difference. As I said, it is a very unfussy game.

Try mounting the image and navigate to the CD and do a "DIR" to be sure it can list the contents. If not there still may be something wrong with your image. You may need to find a PC with a CD drive to make a new image.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 18 of 18, by mccorkled

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

I just tested with my CD as well as an ISO i made from it. It is a very unpicky game. Simply mounting a folder as "c" and either the actual CD or imgmounting the ISO as "d" with the "-t cdrom" switch is enough. After running the installer and the setup the game loads just fine. No need for the "-ioctl" switch or to add the disc label. Running it with the same mountings or with the installed folder as the base of the "c:" drive makes no difference. Even removing the disc label from the ISO made no difference. As I said, it is a very unfussy game.

Try mounting the image and navigate to the CD and do a "DIR" to be sure it can list the contents. If not there still may be something wrong with your image. You may need to find a PC with a CD drive to make a new image.

Hmmmm, ok thanks.