VOGONS

First post, by Dybdal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been trying to play GTA 1 on dosbox and so far i've been having quite abit of trouble getting the built in frame limiter (v-sync basicly) to limit the game to a frame rate where cars is driveable
i've got the Playstation version of both games (GTA1 & London) and here the game runs at a much lower frame-rate making the game playable
And i've tried to fiddle with Cycle counts and that dosnt really seem to be the issue, it seems to be linked to the frame limiter ingame interacting with dosbox (or the game just runs that fast but i dont remember it being that impossibly fast paced)

Does anyone have any experience running the game at the correct speed in dosbox?

Reply 1 of 19, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This should be in the DOSBox forum.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 19, by Dybdal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

IIRC one of the F keys on top toggles the limiter.

Yes it does, but the issue is that in the interaction with dosbox it seems to not limit it to the correct frame rate, the game while limited still runs in an unplaybly fast pace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mvPg6FZfF4

This video illustrates the issue quite well, as you might be able to gleem from the video the cars are way to fast to be able to steer and i had the game on my old DOS pc and i do not remember it playing anything close to that chaotic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02kMHWKaMg8

This video is from the PS1 version that runs closer to the framerate i remember, here you can actualy play the game without hitting everything.

Im allmost 99% sure there is some janky issue with v-sync limiting and dosbox when it comes to this game but i wont be 100% sure until someone can test it out on a old DOS machine to see if im right.

Reply 5 of 19, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Moved this to DOSBox Games/Apps.

The frame limiter is on by default in GTA, and as fast as the game might seem with the limiter on, it's faster still with the limiter off.

You didn't mention it, so I have to ask: did you try limiting cycles? Something like "cycles auto limit 40000" or so?

Reply 6 of 19, by Dybdal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Moved this to DOSBox Games/Apps.

The frame limiter is on by default in GTA, and as fast as the game might seem with the limiter on, it's faster still with the limiter off.

You didn't mention it, so I have to ask: did you try limiting cycles? Something like "cycles auto limit 40000" or so?

Yes i have tried to mess around with cycle counts at both 20000 & 30000, with different cores aswell and the game will still attempt to run at benny hill like pace (with 20000 being choppy, and 30000~40000 running with minimal choppyness) but still being utterly unplaybale in terms of pace.

My memory of GTA on a dos machine is 20+ years old, so i cannot say for certain that the game didnt allways run at this stupid crazy speed compared to the playstation version but something tells me, this has to do with some crazy interaction with dosbox.

I've even tried running in it in Daum's 3DFX branch and that still produces the same results.

What im really interested in, would be someone with a old Pentium 100 or equivilent machine testing it on a real dos rig. This is really just making me mental trying to make work the way i want it to.

Reply 7 of 19, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yeah, it's not easy to drive in GTA DOS. I never liked the zooming out/in as you speed up/down -- I know why it's like that, it just starts to get to me after awhile.

BTW, radio station (i.e. CD audio) volume works correctly in SVN, such as the radio being muffled when you drive under something.

Reply 8 of 19, by Dybdal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I've gotten everything to work the way i want it to, except the speed. And i just need a definitive answer from someone who either remembers it clearly (or better yet, still has a period machine that can test it) then compare it with footage from YouTube (any will do) to see if the game actually runs at that speed natively or not.

Reply 9 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember it fast on a real machine too. The PSX versions (which were later) to me are very sluggish and I wouldn't bear trying to playing them. The same applies for GTA2 - the PSX version is noticably slower 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 19, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see what's going on here. This seems to be the speed at which GTA 1 runs on PC, if it is fast enough to hit 60fps. Not much else to it, it runs exactly like that on my older PCs as well and you can clearly tell that the only reason the game is slower on the PS1 is because it can't keep up. It's pretty jerky.

Not that I'm very fond of the control of the vehicles in this game, I just like it for nostalgic reasons. Kris of Ancient DOS Games collaborated with HG101 on a great video discussing the many issues with the original game. Great watch, I really enjoy these guys and Kris was superb and spot on with his observations.

If you like the performance of the PS1 version, why not try it on an emulator? ePSXe or PCSX-R will allow you to run it at higher resolutions and pSX will run the game on its native resolution if you don't care about all that.

Reply 13 of 19, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rockstar never really got the hang of working with high framerates until the PC version of GTA V was released. 😜 Compared to the travesty that was the PC version of GTA IV, GTA V is surprisingly well optimized. The in game VRAM meter is a lying POS though. I can play quite well at around an average of 45-60 FPS in 1080p with some of the settings turned up, but if I kept going by the ingame meter, I'd still be running at 720p with lower settings.

Reply 14 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

tbh every DMA Design/Rockstar North game from Menace to GTASA has been capped at or strictly designed for 25-30fps (I think it's 25, given Scotland, PAL, being half of 50hz). Uniracers is the exception. 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 19, by Dybdal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

I don't see what's going on here. This seems to be the speed at which GTA 1 runs on PC, if it is fast enough to hit 60fps. Not much else to it, it runs exactly like that on my older PCs as well and you can clearly tell that the only reason the game is slower on the PS1 is because it can't keep up. It's pretty jerky.

Not that I'm very fond of the control of the vehicles in this game, I just like it for nostalgic reasons. Kris of Ancient DOS Games collaborated with HG101 on a great video discussing the many issues with the original game. Great watch, I really enjoy these guys and Kris was superb and spot on with his observations.

If you like the performance of the PS1 version, why not try it on an emulator? ePSXe or PCSX-R will allow you to run it at higher resolutions and pSX will run the game on its native resolution if you don't care about all that.

That was my question, if the video you posted with Kris talking is the speed the game is intended to play at, then dosbox is running it at the correct framerate (and at that speed, the game is basicly unplayable or at the very least un-enjoyable) having vague memorys from 20+ years ago will be hazy and if it runs at the correct speed, then my memory has failed me in this instance.

I allready own both PS versions and they are vastly more playable even though you feel they are jerky, i can highly recommend them, as the tradeoff with smooth framerate to a game you can actualy drive in without hitting absolutly every car on the road makes the game a very enjoyable quick romp.

Reply 17 of 19, by Dybdal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MrEWhite wrote:

I can test it when I get home if you want.

Sure that would be cool, if you have a period machine to test it on (around pentium 100 or better) that would put my wondering to rest.

Reply 18 of 19, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dybdal wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

Sure that would be cool, if you have a period machine to test it on (around pentium 100 or better) that would put my wondering to rest.

I can try it in a Pentium Pro 200. But I tested it on my Pentium 3 and main machine with the P3 running the DOS version and main running the Windows version. Both fine imo.

Reply 19 of 19, by Dybdal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MrEWhite wrote:
Dybdal wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

I can try it in a Pentium Pro 200. But I tested it on my Pentium 3 and main machine with the P3 running the DOS version and main running the Windows version. Both fine imo.

What im interrested in, is what frame-rate the game is running at nativly.
Does it run as fast as this video is showing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kiCbfTxwtg thats what i want to know.