VOGONS

First post, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a copy of Track Attack today and of course installed it with DOSBox. So far everything works, except the CD audio music. It won't start unless I start it using the CD player built into the game. Then, it just plays one track after the other, not a different one for every track or the main menu. I can't change the volume of CD audio, even though I use an SVN of DOSBox. And the music keeps playing even when i quit the game.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this behaviour or a TSR tool at hand that fixes it?

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 1 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

How are you sure this is a problem with DOSBox and not just how the game works? If the game has its own CD audio volume control, then you will need to IMGMOUNT a BIN/CUE image of the game disc in order for that to work.

Reply 2 of 4, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried that. But no matter if I use the real CD, a BIN/CUE with redbook audio or a BIN/CUE with OGG files, it always behaves the same.

I'm sure it didn't do that when I played the game on a real DOS machine back in the 90s.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 3 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The fact that it works like an ordinary CD audio player suggest that it's intentional. It makes no technical difference to DOSBox if the game commands the audio to play at a certain point during gameplay or because you pressed a button. Maybe there's a game setting to use different behavior.

If the game does not have its own volume control then use the MIXER command to change the volume.

Reply 4 of 4, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It has it's own volume conrol, but it doesn't work. It does with other games, though.

But it generally seems to be a little bit tricky to get cd audio working anyway, I tried a FreeDOS VM and a MS DOS VM, both didn't even play the audio tracks. Well, at least I can listen to the music and play this great game again. 😀