VOGONS

First post, by casawyer07602

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello to all!

I'm trying to run an industrial programming application called "APT" in DosBOX. I followed the instructions to mount the folder to a "D" drive.

When the program starts, the following text is shown:
GSS Device Driver Management Utility
(C) Copyright 1985-1990 Graphic Software Systems, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Version 2.20

You are using GSS*CGI version 2.20

TSR GSS*CGI has been loaded and initialized.

And then, it gives me the error:

"VIDEO DEVICE DRIVERS NOT INSTALLED!"

"CAN'T RUN APT!"

Is there something I need to do for DOSBox to load these drivers?

Reply 1 of 6, by casawyer07602

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm also getting "Illegal command: Deivicehigh"

Reply 2 of 6, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like it needs low-level device drivers installed; probably you need something other than DOSBox, for instance PCem.

You would have to install the software from the original install disks, thus adding the right driver lines to CONFIG.SYS. Alternatively, you could add the drivers manually and use your current folder.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
casawyer07602 wrote:

I'm trying to run an industrial programming application called "APT" in DosBOX.

No one will tell you that running an industrial programming application in DOSBox is aood idea.

I followed the instructions to mount the folder to a "D" drive.

Which instructions did you follow? You will almost certainly need a "C" drive of some sort.

Is there something I need to do for DOSBox to load these drivers?

That depends on the particular nature of the drivers. In extreme cases, it may be necessary to create a bootable hard drive image and then boot that in DOSBox, but this program may very well rely on hardware features that DOSBox does not support.

If you need more help, you will need to tell us more about what you are doing. A line like "Illegal command: Deivicehigh" suggests you are doing something very strange.

Reply 4 of 6, by casawyer07602

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

No one will tell you that running an industrial programming application in DOSBox is aood idea.

If I had another option I would use it.

Which instructions did you follow? You will almost certainly need a "C" drive of some sort.

Typo should be C:

That depends on the particular nature of the drivers. In extreme cases, it may be necessary to create a bootable hard drive image and then boot that in DOSBox, but this program may very well rely on hardware features that DOSBox does not support.

devicehigh is used to put drivers into high memory.

I have attached the program files that I have located in C:/PDOS/ and the profile from Defend Reloaded. The program I am trying to run is C:/PDOS/APT/APT.exe

Edit: copyrighted software removed. Do NOT post software here that you have no right to distribute.

Reply 5 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
casawyer07602 wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

DOSBox is not well suited to your purpose, but there are quite a few VMs that are.

That said, you have the option of booting real DOS in DOSBox using a HDD image, and with that you can load device drivers in the CONFIG.SYS file.

You can also try loading device drivers in DOSBox's emulated DOS using command line programs for that purpose (e.g. DEVLOAD.COM, DEVICE.COM, etc.) If the device drivers in question are interfaced through an interrupt then they may work this way, but if they are interfaced through a character device name then you must boot real DOS for them to work.

Reply 6 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
casawyer07602 wrote:

As Mr. Keenmaster suggested, there's PCem. Other alternatives include the PC emulator included in MAME, as well as Bochs and virtual machines such as VMware.

devicehigh is used to put drivers into high memory.

"Devicehigh" is used in config.sys when DOS is booting to put drivers into high memory and would never be used on the command line unless, as I said, you are doing something very strange. There is no reference to "devicehigh" in the profile you attached.