VOGONS

First post, by ShadowXIX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im running the game Oregon trail deluxe in DOSbox 0.63 and the game runs fine except that there is no sound or music.

I ran the sound setup and out of the options
-none
-Adlib
-Internal pc speaker
-Sound Blaster

I choose soundblaster but still no sound. There is also a Configure option this is what is default when I select that

-Base address of you card (hex) - 220
-IRQ number of your card - 7

Im not really sure if I need to change those numbers for dosbox or what I would change them too, So I didnt alter them.

Anyone know what I could do to get the sound working on this game?

Reply 1 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

(edited title to be more descriptive)

All three of those sound options are supported by DOSBox, so you should probably try them all to see what happens. I'd be surprised if there's a difference between Adlib and Sound Blaster in that game (maybe the deluxe version has some digitized sounds though).

I would recommend trying some other games in DOSBox to see whether it's a game-specific problem or a general DOSBox issue on your system. May also want to go back to the default DOSBox config if you've customized it.

Also, try a CVS build. See the development forum for info. They have lots of offical (and sometimes unofficial) fixes and features added since 0.63.

Reply 2 of 6, by ShadowXIX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply I will try them all. Its seems to be just a issue with this game Ascendancy's and Master of Orion's sound both work perfectly in Dosbox.

Just wasnt sure what the deal was with the sound card base address # and IRQ # was in the configure option. So I didnt mess with that at all but wasnt sure if that has to be changed for dosbox.

Reply 3 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think DOSBox defauls to port 220, irq 7, dma 1 which is what you were using.

You might also try core=normal if you're currently using core=dynamic. Also might try setting the cycles really low (like 2000) in case it's trying to talk to the virtual sound card too fast.

Reply 4 of 6, by ShadowXIX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I seem to have gotten atleast the sound effects to work now. When hunting I can clearly hear the gun shots while shooting.

Now Im left wondering if the music was ripped from the game to save space or something in the copy i found.

Thanks again for the advice and response

Reply 6 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

right.
Fixed that contraption Zack.
They used the RTC for timing and checked it's registers to see which kind of interrupt occured.
(a bit weird as they enabled only one type of interrupts)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!