VOGONS

First post, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just played around with Out of this World by Interplay. Among the common soundcards it also supports the CM-32L (note: the setup option is CM-32L, not MT-32). But while the sound effects play back properly (at least some of them, some seem to be missing or weren't implemented for the CM-32L) there is no music.

Since I can hardly imagine that the game has no music in CM-32L mode as opposed to the Soundblaster mode there may be something wrong with the Dosbox MPU-401 emulation (this is only a guess). Using Midi-Ox I also verified that almost no data is (like note on or off signals) is transferred to my synth.

I tested with some of the more recent CVS builds (ykhwong, gulikoza).

Reply 1 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried it with my MT-32 and thought that I wasn't hearing much because the game expected me to be using a CM-32L.

Have you tried running with VDMSound or anything like that?

Reply 2 of 7, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, I haven't tried it with VDMSound. In fact I'm not using VDMSound and haven't installed it for about 2 years because Dosbox is so good and runs all my games. I'm a bit reluctant to install it right now because I had some problems with its shell extension.

Reply 3 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Having both DOSBox and VDMSound installed at the same time it wouldn't hurt your system.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 7, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is nothing wrong in Dosbox MPU-401 emulation in this case.

I have just checked this game with my LAPC-I on a 386 machine. The game plays only sound effects with Roland.

HunterZ: That is why you won't hear anyting on MT-32 cause it doesn't have sound effects.