VOGONS

First post, by ShadowXIX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im running DOSbox version 0.63 and when I run the game Ultima7 I get this message when I try to run it.

''Please remover your expanded memory manager before running.''

And the game fails to load. consult your manual blah blah
The manual says

Voddoo […]
Show full quote

Voddoo

Ultima VII use a special memory manager called ''Vooddoo'' This manager created by ORIGIN comes with the ULTIMAVII game. Voodoo will run on any 386X or higher IBM PC compatible computer. It use extended memory, so it can coexist with the HIMEM.SYS. However , HIMEM.SYS is not necessary for voodoo memory to function.

Expanded memory (eg QEMM 386MAX OR EMM386)

The other popular memory manager called Expanded Memory (EMS) is not compatible with vooddoo. If you using a expanded memory manager such as (QEMM, 386MAX, OR EMM386) you must remove it to run Ultima 7

If you are familar with this process (which im not 🙁 ) disable the EMS memory manager. The acceptable minimum configuration is an empty AUTOEXEC.BAT and a CONFIG.SYS with the lines
FILES=20
BUFFER=25
DEVICE=C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.SYS*

I have know clue what to do. I wanted to know if anyone could explain what I need to do in DOSBox to get it to run. Also if changing anything to get this to run would effect games already running fine on Dosbox.

This is the only time I got this message and cant get a game to run because of it. On another game " Out of this world" I got a message like this when ever i run it.

A Memory manager has been detected that may appear impare performance. Removing your Memory driver will enable maximum performance.

But I press 1 to proceed and the game runs find. Ultima 7 will not run though 🙁

Reply 3 of 4, by ShadowXIX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😀 Thats alot easier then I thought it would be. What a great program Dosbox is 😁 My hats off to its creators

Thanks very much for the help to my question