VOGONS

First post, by kibb1es

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some things to get out of the way before i go on...
I am using a mac
I couldn't figure out how to load the cd drive onto my computer, so i copied all the files off the disk into a folder on my computer and i am installing it off there

Ok so whenever i try to install the game it comes back with a error saying that the configuration file could not be installed. Specifically what I am doing from the start is...

Z:\>mount C /Users/mitch/dosgames

Z:\>c:

C:\> cd larry

C:\LARRY>install

... so you can see that is correct. After that I tell it to install on C with the soundblaster sound card (just cause i have no idea which sound card to use). After that is asks in which directory to install and i tell it to install in
"C:\Larry7" . It then gives me four options, one to read the readme file, another to make a bootable floppy disk, one to accept the choices and save the configuration, and the last to cancel. I choose save configuration and then i get the message "error creating configuration file".
What I know
It has nothing to do with the sound card choice
The default place to save the game on doesn't help either

When it says that it saves in C I assume that means the folder i have mounted as C, which is the "/Users/mitch/dosgames" folder.

I also believe that the file ending for the configuration file is ".cfg" but im not sure, perhaps that doesnt work well on macs, or perhaps i am simply crazy. maybe both.

Reply 1 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Typically on a real DOS box, you'd install a DOS Sierra game like this:
- Insert the CD and run the install program
- Install to c:\sierra\gamename
- Run install.exe from game directory (folder) on hard drive, choose hardware options, save options and quit (***don't select (re)install option, just save the settings***)
- Settings get saved to c:\sierra\gamename\resource.cfg. The game expects resource.cfg to be in the same folder as the rest of the game (i.e. c:\sierra\gamename).
- Run sierra.bat or sierra.com or whatever to start the game. It will read resource.cfg from the current folder and use the settings you chose.

Reply 2 of 9, by kibb1es

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ya, so essentially I got stuck on step three. I is not able to save those configurations for some reason. Perhaps I can make a configuration file without going through the installatiion program first. It would probably be better if someone else who had the game send me a copy of theirs. So short term solution, get a copy of someone elses configuration file. Long term solution, figure out why I can't make my own. I searched in multiple forums but have not found anyone with a similar problem. So that leaves me with two things to ask...

1) Can anyone send me a copy of their configuration file for leisure suit larry 7? The specific file name is "resource.cfg". My email address is lonelyspartan@gmail.com

2) Has anyone else tried to install a game and got an error saying that the configuration file wouldn't save? have you been able to fix this?

Help is always appreciated.

Reply 3 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check the host file permissions and make sure you have access. Dunno how that works on a mac.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure you're running install.exe from the game installation folder and not from the CD the second time? If you're running it from the CD then it may be trying to write the settings to the CD (which of course fails).

Reply 6 of 9, by kibb1es

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No the cd is not in my computer anymore i took it out after i copied its contents. I also had my dad go through the privileges on all the files there using terminal to make sure that everything in the folder is read and executeable. Where exactly would the game install? it says its gonna install under the C drive, is that just whatever folder i mounted the c drive to?

Reply 7 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah:

"mount C /Users/mitch/dosgames "

C=virtual C: drive
/Users/mitch/dosgames=host

so /users/mitch/dosgames is your C:\

Have you tried running the setup utility from the installed game directory and not the LARRY installation directory?

The .cfg files are fairly simple so if someone has the game they can simply post it here and the game will work.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just move the entire contents of the CD to your installed folder and copy this in your RESOURCE.CFG file:

videoDrv = VESA.DRV
soundDrv = MIDNONE.DRV
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = NO
directory = \SIERRA\LSL7
minCPU = 486
minDOS = 572
mode = real
minEMS = 200
CD = yes
CPU = 0
VideoSpeed = 0
CPUSpeed = 0
CDROM = 0
mouseDrv = NONE
memoryDrv = NONE
language = 1
audioSize = 112k
minMemory = 1600k
brightness = 0
cmd = LSL7DOS

audio = .\music
resSfx = .\
resAud = .\
resMap = .\
patchDir = .\; .\patches\
movieDir = .\movie

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers