VOGONS

First post, by sniperdoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I still have the old 1.44Mb floppy for Ancient Land of Ys and was wanting to see if I can get it to play on Dosbox .63 with D-Fend 2.0... unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get it going. Here's my stats:

Hardware:
2.8 Ghz P4 HT
GeForce 5900 Ultra latest drivers 78.xx
SB Audigy 2 latest webupdate drivers
120Gb Seagate SATA Barracuda HDD

Software:
Windows XP Pro SP2
Dosbox .63
D-Fend 2.0

Basically, when I try to access the floppy, I have to mount the drive, and I type in: mount a a:
Then I navigate to the A floppy and run the batch file install they have which essentially just copies the files to the hard drive. BUT if it tries to install them, it says the drive is invalid (mounted c drive). If i copy them to the mounted c drive in a Ys Folder, and run the Ys executable, it asks what monitor style i want to use, EGA (highest avail setting) and then it asks for me to insert the original disk... from then on... nothing happens. No accessing of the floppy of anything.

Suggestions tips hints? Dosbox says that Ys is supported in .63 but... I can't get it to work...?

Reply 3 of 5, by sniperdoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I still have the old 1.44Mb floppy for Ancient Land of Ys and was wanting to see if I can get it to play on Dosbox .63 with D-Fend 2.0... unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get it going. Here's my stats:

Hardware:
2.8 Ghz P4 HT
GeForce 5900 Ultra latest drivers 78.xx
SB Audigy 2 latest webupdate drivers
120Gb Seagate SATA Barracuda HDD

Software:
Windows XP Pro SP2
Dosbox .63
D-Fend 2.0

Basically, when I try to access the floppy, I have to mount the drive, and I type in: mount a a:
Then I navigate to the A floppy and run the batch file install they have which essentially just copies the files to the hard drive. BUT if it tries to install them, it says the drive is invalid (mounted c drive). If i copy them to the mounted c drive in a Ys Folder, and run the Ys executable, it asks what monitor style i want to use, EGA (highest avail setting) and then it asks for me to insert the original disk... from then on... nothing happens. No accessing of the floppy of anything.

Suggestions tips hints? Dosbox says that Ys is supported in .63 but... I can't get it to work...?
As suggested by other forum members, I tried mount a a:\ -t floppy but that didnt work either... after I use ega it asks for the original floppy, i hit any key, and it just drops me back to A: prompt.

Reply 4 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

(merged related topics into a single topic in the proper forum)

I have a pirated version of the game that comes with a crack. It's possible that you need a crack to run it in DOSBox. You might try downloading the game from an abandonware site, as it will probably be the cracked version.

EDIT: When you try to run the game after installing and it asks for the floppy, do you still have it mounted in DOSBox?

Reply 5 of 5, by sniperdoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes the floppy is still in the drive, and it's still mounted. I tried running it just by dosbox alone, mounting the drives etc... but it didn't work either.