VOGONS

... An Idea ...

Topic actions

First post, by Criftus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, now I know this is probably not the ideal place to be asking what I'm about to, but I figured the DOSBox community would give the greatest response on what I'm suggesting or asking about ...

I was wondering if anyone knows of a place where you can download "perfect" copies of old games.

Now, this isn't a request for illegal software. I think most of you can agree that some games just aren't available for purchase anymore, and in some cases the copyright has expired too. I also know that many places that offer abandonware don't actually give you perfect representations of the software (often enough they're hacked, cracked, or "released" versions by some hacking group).

I've been trying to find somewhere that offers perfect copies of games for ages now. I've personally backed up all of my old DOS games into ZIP files, each disk represented by a folder, and notation on the volume labels and serial numbers in a text file. This is, as far as I can gather, the best way to perfectly preserve my old games. I also realize this is pretty anal, but hey, I loves my DOS games. =P

But back to the point: does anyone think a repository containing exact copies of DOS games exists? Does anyone else think it's a good idea for one to exist? People preserving old games should preserve them in their original condition, not some cracked/"lite" version, or one where a coder from outside the development team came in and added his own sig or files to the game...

I dunno. I don't think it's crazy. I hate finding an old game available for download online, only to find a similar copy of the game with a few more/less files available somewhere else - which is the original?

Your thoughts? 😩

Reply 1 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think there is such a place....although it would be nice to have. A site that hashes original copies of DOS games...ahhh...what a dream. I'm working on such a thing with my local copies but it takes time.

Of course having a backup available for all to have like Console/Arcade ROMS is a good idea. Too bad it's illegal.

The real reason companies don't release their older games for free or sell them anywhere:

1. They want you to buy new stuff.
2. They don't have the source code anymore.
3. The software doesn't work on modern computers and they don't want to rely on 3rd party fixes.
4. If they do have the source they can port the game in some form to a new platform....hey it screws the original customer but who cares about them? It's all about the new generation.....

The future is services like GameTap where big corporations (With contacts to other Publishers so they can have lots of games) can emulate the games on their side and you pay $$$ with some form of DRM to play the old games that you already have.....too bad I'm not interested in that future.....

It's funny. We might as well just stop buying games at all and wait until you have no choice but to buy games subscription. They way we won't be screwed over because our old games won't work.....of course we'd have to deal with all the subscription issues buy hey! We won't have to worry about our ancient non-subscription games because we wouldn't have any! YAY!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 9, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When the Software Preservation Society (formerly CAPS) focuses its attention on PC Floppies and CDs, we will have what we need. Unfortunately, it may be toom late by then.

Reply 3 of 9, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, using disk images would be a better representation 😀

Reply 4 of 9, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Criftus wrote:

[...], and in some cases the copyright has expired too. [...]

Well, just to remind you: The first copyright to expire is that of some classic disney movie somewhen in around 30 years. Unless legislation changes and copyright is valid even further (this has happened several times). Of course, individual countries may differ (these facts are from the U.S.), but international treaties and such will probably make that not matter. If companies cease to exist, copyright is handled in various ways, so it's not safe to assume they're free then, either. (AFAIK, German law states that the copyright is transferred to the government in such a case, for example.)
So the net result is that such a project will always have to operate in a grey area of legislation. Luckily, many companies really don't care or silently support our activities, and when there's no suitor, then there's no judge, as a saying goes here.

On the subject:
I like that idea. It will not work, however, in the face of copy-protection. It's hard enough to create a copy at all, but to create a working one, one that's supported by the emulator of your choice, is really difficult. That issue aside, I agree with gulikoza: Disk images are the only way to go. Plus scanned disk labels, box (including sides), manual and other goodies, each at 300dpi. THAT may sound anal, but hey, if you want a perfect archive, that's the way to go.

Reply 5 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For copy-protected games I think it would be acceptible to include as good a disk image as possible along with a working crack. It's probably also possible by now to duplicate and emulate some of the old floppy copy-protections.

Reply 6 of 9, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Proper floppy drive emulation and a robust imaging standard will solve almost any disk based copy protection. The people at the Software Preservation Society have been successfully dealing with Amgia copy protected disks. Many of those disks have protection far beyond any PC Booter. Also, once we get to the DOS installables, the number copy protected disks fall dramatically. All we have to deal with then is documentation-based copy protection. In that case, simply supply the answers or a cracked executable in addition to a clean executable.

Reply 7 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Exactly.

Also, I recall owning a lot of non-booter games with disk-based copy protection (mostly older Sierra games). I remember reading that they would usually mark a sector as "bad" on the disk and then access it in a different mode from normal sectors. DOS would skip copying the data inside if you tried to use it to copy the disk, but there were some programs out there at the time that could do it (rawcopy was one of them I think). Of course, this would be covered by the first sentence of G.H.'s post above.

Reply 9 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Holy crap that site is slow, ugly, and somewhat broken (and it displays posts in backwards order! WTF?). Good info though.

Heh, I thought I remembered 'copyIIpc' as another copy utiltiy, but I didn't mention it because I wasn't sure.