VOGONS

First post, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finished playing EOB2 and now i started playing EOB3 under dosbox 0.63 (Linux version).

The game works fine, but its a little sluggish. I remember in my dos-days that EOB3 always was rather heavy for most PCs out there.

Is the slugginess normal in EOB3? has anyone managed to make it run perfectly?

PS:
i've played with various settings, but they didn't make much difference.

--
sehh

Reply 2 of 11, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Never finished it? oh you should.. great game. I'm one of those weirdos who played EYE1 then imported my party to EYE2 then imported my party again to EYE3.

maybe one of those unofficial patches could help improve speed with EYE3... we'll seeee...

--
sehh

Reply 5 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never got into any of those old first-person RPGs (Wizardry 1 being the oldest that I know of) until Wizardry 6. Wizardry 6, 7, and 8 are one of my favorite RPG trilogies (the plot is light, but the fantasy/sci-fi mix is cool and the game mechanics are great).

I've always wanted to go back and check out the EotB, Bard's Tale, and Might & Magic series (plus a few odds and ends like Buck Rogers, Mines of Titan, DungeonMaster, etc.) but with all the games I have vying for my attention I've never managed to give any of them more than an hour or two of my time before moving on to something else.

Reply 6 of 11, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recall EOB3 as the game that would not shut up. Turning on the digital sound meant a never-ending cacophony of undifferentiated noise. Loading games and new areas was painfully slow on my 386SX @20MHz but running them wasn't so bad. EOB2 by comparison was a masterpiece, even if the designers let their cruel streak run wild at times.

Reply 7 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the main issue with EOB3 is that it ran like crap without EMS. You need EMS for this game. To be honest, it required a hefty machine to run at a reasonable pace. This doesn't mean the game was smooth. I don't think it was.

PS - Forget EOB3 and play Lands of Lore:The Throne of Chaos. It's a way more satisfying experience. 😁

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 9 of 11, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At least EOB2 had a better ending that EOB1. The first just said something like Congratulations, you have beaten the game... then you are sitting there staring at a DOS Prompt. It was a big letdown after spending 20-30 hours playing it.

I think EOB3 had a completely different team coding it than the first 2, I also remember it was not as smooth and more buggy.

I also really liked Lands of Lore, and also Anvil of Dawn. Both were similar to the EOB series. Another was the Black Crypt on the Amiga, one of Raven's first games before they went on to do Heretic/Hexen.

Reply 10 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think EOB/EOB2/Lands of Lore were developed by Westwood while EOB3 was developed by Event Horizon software (if memory serves me well).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 11 of 11, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Xian97 wrote:

At least EOB2 had a better ending that EOB1. The first just said something like Congratulations, you have beaten the game... then you are sitting there staring at a DOS Prompt. It was a big letdown after spending 20-30 hours playing it.

oh my god.... i was ready to smash my monitor with the keyboard that day... oh so many years ago...

i thought i did something wrong, i even loaded my savegame from the start of the final stage and re-killed the beholder... no go... indeed the ending was just a paragraph of text with a "Congratulations" at the bottom 🙁

no problem, EOB2 and EOB3 more than made up it 😀

--
sehh