VOGONS

The Horde

Topic actions

First post, by DrBair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I recently had a nasty urge to play the horde so I grabbed dosbox off of portage and found The Horde from an abandonware site. Yes, I read previous posts about the game and I also tried the latest stable release as well as from cvs.

The game fired up fine the first time, it was amazing! It ran a little choppy so I figured I'd make a config file and put in a faster emulation speed as well as automounting of the game directory. However when I started up the game again, it didn't work! The screen in the window went blank, I heard a few clicks from the speakers, and then I got some garbled text.

Since then its kind of been a hit or miss as to if it will actually work or not. 19 times out of 20 it will fail though. I've tried invoking the program exactly like I did the first time (no config file) but it still does the same thing.

I tried disabling gus, soundblaster, MPU, and added in dpmi=false in the dos section. However none of these seem to be helping.

Also, when I start the horde I get a string of errors on the konsole that read:

Illegal write to c8000032, CS:IP      170:  170dc7

and then a bunch of similar ones follow.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The CVS builds no longer use the dpmi setting. You should see the CVS Builds thread for info on regenerating your config file so you can see the options available for the current CVS versions.

Also, you may want to try the normal, full, and dynamic cores to see if that changes anything.

Reply 6 of 6, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

red_avatar is talking about the DOSBox emulation settings. There should be a line in dosbox.conf that says "type=sb16". Change that to "type=sbpro1"

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.