VOGONS

First post, by Philip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like I posted this to the wrong topic just a while ago. Here goes again, hopefully in the right area.

I've just loaded up DOSBox .63 I believe and Defend as the front end. Tried to set up Steel Panthers - my main reason for getting DOSBox and was able to get to the screen where I choose to start a campaign, start a scenario, etc. I click on Scenario (or any other button) and no response.

I know it takes a while to respond - the selection screen does take a bit, but there truly is no response.

I've tried clicking Game needs Loadfix in Defend, but no joy. I've played around with amount of Dos memory allowed and still no luck.

Anyone have any ideas? Any help is much appreciated.

My system:

Averatec 3200 series laptop
AMD Athlon XP - M 2200+ Processor
512 MB DDR RAM

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 1, by billoute

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'v tried the game and got no problems entering a campaign or a scenario.
Since i didn't found my old CD (not even sure if i still have it), i used the version from abandonia website.

ther's in fact a little pause when first launching the game, upping cycles a little made the trick for me. But there was no need for the loadhigh thingie..the game run smoothly.

are you using a cd-rip from abandonware sites, or your real CD ? maybe the problem come from the "straight-from-cd" way of running it, especially under dosbox as i'v heard how it has some compatibility issues.

anyway, since Steel panthers is your main reason using dosbox, have you ever considered using the complete and free version available from the current owners of the Steel Panthers Licence, Matrix Games ?
It's Steel Panthers World At War (SPWAW) 8.20 : it's a debugged, better and windows XP native version of the original game.... and it's legally free (around 400mb).