VOGONS

First post, by Silvio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Last day I found in my cellar an old game, "Star Crusader" from TAKE 2 (1994), on CDROM.
I really wish to play, and i tried with dosbox 0,63.
I can install il, but cannot play, because, after the correct setup of the program, it say me "cannot locate cdrom".
But I prepare cdrom in dosbox as always:
"mount l l:\ -t cdrom"
Why it doesn't want play??????? 😢
What must I do to start? 😕
I'm not so skilly in dosbox commands 🙁
Please, someone help me!!!!!!

Reply 1 of 3, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into this, given that Star Crusader is now listed as working post 0.65. The specific error that is given is "Unable to locate CD-ROM with the Star Crusader on it. Make sure that the disc has been inserted into your CD-ROM drive". The disc is definitely there - in fact, I've just installed the game off it - and I've made the mount command as specific as I can:

mount d h:\ -t cdrom -usecd 2 -ioctl -label PACK3_E

But no joy. I do note that it's in the "big list of games with problems/not working", but there's no specific info about what's wrong with it there, so I don't know if it relates to this issue.

Cheers!

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 2 of 3, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First of all, I recommend both of you upgrading to DOSBox 0.70.

Second, I see no one is mounting a hard disk drive.

mount c c:\oldgames {folder oldgames must exist on C drive}

mount d <x:\> -t cdrom -ioctl -label <game_label>

where <x:\> is the REAL LETTER of your CD/DVD drive
<game_label> is the actual label of the original CD. (To find out label's name just hit properties from the CD drive or issue a VOL <drive:> command from cmd.exe).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 3, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using 0.70 and have a mounted hard drive, and have mounted the CD drive correctly. Sorry, I figured that was a given, since it won't run directly off the CD.

# Lines in this section will be run at startup. @mount c c:\games\oldgames @mount d f:\ -t cdrom @mount e h:\ -t cdrom -usecd 2 […]
Show full quote

# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
@mount c c:\games\oldgames
@mount d f:\ -t cdrom
@mount e h:\ -t cdrom -usecd 2 -ioctl
c:
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
rem cls

I've taken the -label switch out of there for now, since I was using it for something else; and I've tried using d drive instead of e in case it required a specific drive. In any event, it still doesn't work, whether the switch is used or not.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem