VOGONS

First post, by Soltis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not very good with DOS games, since I didn't start actually troubleshooting computers till the days of Win2K, so bear with me.

I'm trying to run the file INSTALL.EXE found in the .ace file at (link removed - please do not post links to abandonware sites) in order to install/play King's Quest 5.

Now, I CAN just run KQ5.bat, and the game RUNS, but I don't have voices.
I thought that installing the game would add a resource.aud file or some-such, but it seems that's not the case -- or maybe I just misconfigured the game somehow.

When I run INSTALL.EXE through DOSBox, I can select all my devices, etc, but when I hit Y at the prompt where it asks if all my information is correct, the installer hangs indefinitely -- a little blinking cursor appears at the bottom, as if I'd hit Enter, and nothing happens no matter how long I wait.

Update: I tried(I thought I had tried before, but I guess I was mistaken) to run INSTALL.EXE just by clicking on it, and it appears to install the game okay, but still no voices.

So, any help getting voices to work in this game?

Last edited by Soltis on 2006-02-26, 05:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uh oh.

Okay, Abandonware is not legal. EVER. So I've removed your link to the software.

Install.exe works over here so hopefully it's a problem with your software.

It's not read-only on the files since I just tried it and it had no effect.

Hmmm, Try a CVS build of DosBox from my signature, either gulikoza's or ykhwong's and see if it works then.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 6, by Soltis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know there's more than one version of this game floating around, so I wanted to link to a source that I knew contained the exact same thing as what I had -- I compared the archive to my own copy; that is, I compared the filesizes, and they're all the same except for the config file, which is 5 bytes bigger for the .ace version -- so I knew linking to that file would remove any possible ambiguity about what file I was trying to run. I probably should have worded the above post differently, but I was in a hurry.

Anyway, I've tried the 0.63 release, and the two builds hosted on http://cvscompile.aep-emu.de/dosbox.htm (assuming that's the right link; I'm pretty sure it is, but the page isn't loading for me right at the moment).

The same behavior occurs for all three, but it may be a quirk of my hardware, so I'm okay with it if nobody else can replicate it.

Reply 6 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're not going to get voices from a floppy version. Only the CD-ROM versions of Sierra games had a lot of voices, and most of those were at least a couple dozen megabytes from what I've seen.

Digitized sound effects are a different matter - is that what you mean?

Also, removing the abandonware link, as it seems unnecessary and is against the rules in any case... Sorry (nothing personal), but we want to keep VOGONS clear of legal threats so that it can continue to be a resource to people for as long as people are interested in such a thing.