VOGONS

First post, by elminster_666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

every time i try to run the install.bat files from the cd i get this message
"echo is off.
press any key to continue.
please change to the directory that contains the :game name: and re-run install.
note: type "install" in all lower-case letters."
of course, i did type it in all lower case letters, wtf. This is extremely frustrating!!! I got pool of radiance to work, but thats only because i moved the disk1.ajr file to the root directory of the simulated c drive, but the other ones have many files with them and i don't think thats what i have to do with them anyway??? If anybody can help me i would be most grateful!!!

Thanks,
Ping[/code]

Reply 1 of 6, by elminster_666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

and when i switch to the cdrom directory for the game and type install.bat it says it is an illegal command

Reply 2 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just guessing. Did you forgot to properly mount something, like the cd-rom?

If not, try just installing the game from plain NTVDM (cmd.exe). These types of installations just decompress arj files and then execute sound setup (choose no sound first and then run it again from DOSBox after installation is complete).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 6, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If cdrom is mounted correctly check the install.bat (open it in a simple editor) and see if it uses xcopy somewhere in there.

xcopy is not supported out of the box in DOSBox, you'll either have to do an install outside of DOSBox, or find a workaround from within...

Reply 4 of 6, by elminster_666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ahhh... you're right lonelines it goes right to :fine after the echo and that has an xcopy in it, I'm gonna see what i can do with dosbox with that because it won't run at all without it, it closes the window right away otherwise. I'll see what i can do...

Reply 5 of 6, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My MS-DOS 6.22 xcopy.exe didn't work in DOSBox ("incorrect DOS version", I'm assuming you can't configure DOSBox to report it is MS-DOS 6.22)

There is a solution however, just google for xxcopy, it's a freeware alternative to xcopy and should work almost the same (at least from the bit of testing I did).

Grab the file, extract it, rename xxcopy16.exe to xcopy.exe and put it in one of the directories you will mount in DOSBox.

Assuming inside DOSBox you now have a directory c:\xcopy wich has xcopy.exe in it, add this line to your autoexec.bat area of the conf file:
PATH %PATH%;C:\xcopy

All stupid install.bat programs that use xcopy should now work flawlessly.

Good luck!

Reply 6 of 6, by elminster_666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

YES!!! Finally got them to work, I still can't read some of the files off of curse of the azure bonds, but thats probably because my cdrom has been running for a while and the cd is a little scratched, but the other games work now!!!! Thanks a lot man I'm eternally grateful.