VOGONS

Blood locks up...

Topic actions

First post, by Zatos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright didn't see any threads with this same problem...

#1 -Motherboard : DFI Lanparty Ultra D
#2 -Processor type and speed : AMD 64 3700+ San Diego
#3 -Amount and type of RAM : 1 gig/ 512 Corsair XMS, 512 Gigaram
#4 -Video board w/ RAM amount and type : MSI Geforce 6800 GT 256 MB Ram
#5 -Sound board : Onboard sound
#6 -Operating system : WinXP SP2
#7 -Game name (and version, if applicable) : Blood 1.21 CD
#8 -Description of problem (be detailed: saying "it's jerky" doesn't help, saying "the player sprites seem to be jerky when I'm pressing any of the arrow keys" does) :
The game loads up, and it comes to "Cradle To Grave" demo (I'm not sure why its loading a demo, I noticed in the loading screen it says "4 demos in loop"... it says "please wait" at the bottom, music will start to play albeit quiet grainy/staticky... that's all it does.
#9 -Reproducibility of problem (always, only once, always but only on a specific level, etc.) - Always happens
#10 -Sound mode used : using SB16 default settings 7-1-5
#11 -Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution) 320x200 vesa, software
#12 -Version of emulator (for VDMSound, probably 2.0.4 or 2.1.0; for DOSBox, 0.58+) - Dosbox 0.65
#13 -Steps already attempted to solve the problem (please say you've read the README if you haven't, and READ IT IF YOU HAVEN'T!)
Tried changing dosbox configuration to boost memory (default is 16 megs, Blood wants more... changed to 64)... changed screen options in setup, no changes

I think that's everything! Any help would be appreciated... I never got a chance to play this game the first time around!

Reply 2 of 23, by Zatos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, sorry, no change... however I have made some discoveries. In the installation directory - I found 4 .dem files - for the demos... so I deleted those, so now it will go into the Blood menu when I start the game. YAY... but I can't celebrate yet... upon selecting an episode and entering the game, once it loads up - it freezes. Kind of - I started the second episode and found out that the game is actually still running, its just that the screen isn't updating. I heard someone shooting at me after a little bit... so the game is running, the screen just isn't updating. Is there a way to get Blood running in XP? I try running it but it just crashes to desktop with no errors. Again, any more help is much appreciated... I really want to play this game.

Reply 3 of 23, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

substitue dos4gw.exe with dos32a.exe and then run blood in dosbox.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 5 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope,

Either run the game in Windows XP NTVDM or reboot your computer in MS-DOS. MS-DOS is still the most compatible option for Blood since a source port hasn't been made yet and VPC/Vmware are not ideal for BUILD engine games.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 23, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

set cpu cycles to roughly 60,000 (only if your pc can handle it) to experience average performance while playing this game.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 9 of 23, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

my bad i meant about 40,000 for blood 1.... 61,000 is what i use for settlers 2.

my website

Reply 10 of 23, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
franpa wrote:

my bad i meant about 40,000 for blood 1.... 61,000 is what i use for settlers 2.

40,000 is probably ideal, I've gotten decent performance at 320x240. However the best way to run the games is using the deathmask method.

Reply 11 of 23, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

but dosbox is tons simpler.

my website

Reply 12 of 23, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
franpa wrote:

but dosbox is tons simpler.

Miles. 😀 Unfortunately its better to use what works best. When I upgrade my PC down the line I won't need to worry because dosbox will work just fine with build games. 😁

What we really need is a port like Jonof's for Blood, but that won't happen unless the source code is released some day.

Reply 13 of 23, by Zatos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I doubt it will run good enough for you. My computer is higher-end... it still runs like crap. Nobody knows anything to fix the sound from cutting out when the cycles get higher? Obviously some of you are able to set it that high without the sound crapping out.

Reply 15 of 23, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
franpa wrote:

40,000 is probably ideal, I've gotten decent performance at 320x240. However the best way to run the games is using the deathmask method.

this method works incredibly well... i now recommend the "deathmask" method to those capable of doing it.

my website

Reply 16 of 23, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zatos wrote:

I doubt it will run good enough for you. My computer is higher-end... it still runs like crap. Nobody knows anything to fix the sound from cutting out when the cycles get higher? Obviously some of you are able to set it that high without the sound crapping out.

All depends on how fast your CPU is. I have an FX-53 and at 40000 cycles in Blood I don't get sound skipping.

On that note, let's start a petition to monolith to release the blood source code.

Hey hey, its not Monolith's fault. 😏 Blood's rights are up in the air and the blame is probably on Atari, but then who knows who currently owns it. Monolith has no say.

this method works incredibly well... i now recommend the "deathmask" method to those capable of doing it.

I told you. 😁 Thing is: VDMsound doesn't require anywhere near the same kind of CPU speed required to run Blood in dosbox perfectly. Thats why I recommend this method most of the time. In the future though (vista, x64), vdmsound won't work but I figure by that time our machines will be fast enough to play build games in dosbox.

Reply 17 of 23, by Zatos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried the "deathmask" way of playing it... and well... I would play it that way... except that for some strange reason, my mouse doesn't work right playing it that way. In the game, I can turn a little bit to the left, and then it won't turn any more. So I have to go around always turning to the right, which is highly annoying. I haven't even bothered asking anyone how to solve this because it just seems so odd that I don't know if anybody would even know how to fix it. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm gonna take a look around and see who owns the rights to Blood... probably won't find it, but worth a look anyway.

Reply 18 of 23, by Zatos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So you're right... the rights are owned by Atari... courtesy their ownership of GT Interactive. On that note, there is a 3d version in the works... maybe...
http://www.transfusion-game.com/
Its been a while since they last updated... so maybe development on it is dead. 😢

Reply 19 of 23, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

use the deathmask method and use the arrow keys to turn?

check tranfusion's forums... the last updat was roughly Wed Dec 14, 2005

my website