VOGONS

First post, by nwart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I noticed that daggerfall could run faster with dosbox 0.63 than with newer 0.65 on my system (AMD athlon64 2GHz), with exactly the same settings.
I get choppy sound at 18000 cycles for 0.65, while sound was still good with that setting in 0.63.
I tried some general performance tips but I didn't manage to get better results.

I find it rather strange, because some people reported that Daggerfall support was better since 0.65 (and I'd love to gain a few FPS if possible 😁)

Reply 2 of 17, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I find this game doesn't need too many cycles, I give it 25000 on normal core and it runs smooth. 😀 Albeit - I haven't played very long into the game in case certain areas slow it down.

Reply 3 of 17, by nwart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was using normal core, I noticed dynamic was slower.
I'll try with cycles=auto and the CVS build.

I don't know if I can increase much the cycle number though. I noticed sound problems when I tried.
25000 makes my CPU usage stuck at 100%... and I can't even walk and turn at the same time.

Thanks for the help!

Reply 4 of 17, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thats probably beyond your CPU's limit thats why.

Reply 6 of 17, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an athlon 64 too you know 😉 FX-53, and I can get well into 30000-40000 range. I would looove for something faster though to negate the use of VDMsound with build engine games.

Reply 7 of 17, by nwart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just to say I tried the CVS and it worked well.
With cycles=auto, there are peaks at only 20000-21000 cycles, but it's still playable.

That's the paradox with old games: I bought a PC equipped to run Oblivion, and I still have troubles to run Daggerfall 😀

Thanks again

Reply 8 of 17, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Oblivion doesn't need the emulation layer 😉

Reply 9 of 17, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nwart wrote:
Just to say I tried the CVS and it worked well. With cycles=auto, there are peaks at only 20000-21000 cycles, but it's still pla […]
Show full quote

Just to say I tried the CVS and it worked well.
With cycles=auto, there are peaks at only 20000-21000 cycles, but it's still playable.

That's the paradox with old games: I bought a PC equipped to run Oblivion, and I still have troubles to run Daggerfall 😀

Thanks again

Its also not a paradox, you are running an emulator. I also bet you aren't getting max details in oblivion with that CPU anyway. 😉

Reply 10 of 17, by nwart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sad, but true... Shadows and grass are killing my CPU 😢
Well I never said I expected it to run at full detail...

Btw, I know it's not a real "paradox" because dosBox has to emulate all the hardware of a PC with dos...
It's just hard to think that despite the always newer, faster hardware, it has become so hard to have these old programs to run again...
That's all what I mean (and I know it sounded naive 😉)

Reply 11 of 17, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It IS a paradoxon but no contradiction.

Reply 12 of 17, by nwart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to bother you again...

With Ykhwong's build, there are problems that didn't seem to appear in 0.63 or 0.65 releases...
The game often crashes, generally when trying to load or save a game (that results in a corrupted save). I had a few other crashes in game but I couldn't identify a cause.
I would have try a standard 0.65 CVS build to see if this comes from an experimental patch, but I couldn't find one (or hasn't been additions since 0.65 release?).

Reply 13 of 17, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

AEP builds clean cvs dosbox versions, see the development forum.

Reply 14 of 17, by nwart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I tried it, but AEP's link is 404.

Reply 15 of 17, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Indeed, sorry, the whole tree there seems to be down at the moment.
You could try gulikoza's build which should be rather new and only
adds selected well-tested additional stuff.
Other than that, you can compile the sources yourself.

Reply 17 of 17, by nwart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I'm trying this 😀

Edit:
No crash so far with this version.
The only small problem I have is I can't set cycles to auto, or the game never seems to start (I had this problem with the release too).