VOGONS

First post, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a set of Master of Magic disks and thought I'd give it a try. I cannot even get the install started. All I get is the message "You have specified a drive that doesn't physically exist!" I've tried mounting my A drive as drive A:, I've tried making floppy images and mounting those. I've tried copying all the disk contents to a directory and mounting that (both as a -t floppy and as a HDD.) I also tried using the last official release (0.74) of DOSBox instead of development builds. I tried another emulator (86Box) and it installed just fine. Any idea of the settings needed to get the install working in DOSBox?

Thank you.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 1 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The issue with the installer is that it uses INT 13h to read sectors when the source drive is A: or B: (the drive letter is what matters to the installer, not the type of drive).

Mounting multiple floppy images on a single drive letter is only supported in SVN; however, low-level access (INT 13h) is currently only implemented for single images, not for multiple. As such, you will notice that the installer's complaint doesn't occur when mounting only the first floppy image as A: in SVN.

A workaround is to copy all of the files from the floppies into a single folder on a mounted drive that is C: or higher. For convenience, the folder can be on the same mounted C: that will be the install target:

MOUNT C C:\DOS
C:
CD MOMINST
INSTALL

Reply 2 of 4, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks 😀 All I needed to do was mount my floppy drive as something other than A: or B: and it worked just fine. Small issue with Disk 2, but a bit of patience and a blank floppy got me past that eventually (old media.) Also remembering to use <CTRL>-F4 after every disk change to update the drive was all I needed.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 4 of 4, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't know that... It used to be, I had to do that for it to recognize a disk change (CD or FLoppy) in a physical drive. Or so I thought. Maybe it's just images (I always make images of CD's as they are much faster.)

Feeding Dragon