VOGONS

First post, by Bobbo1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was playing PoR just fine in Dos Box .61, and then I decided to go ahead and upgrade my DosBox to .63. My other games are fine, but for some reason, I can't get the sound to work right for Pool of Radiance in .63. I have tried changing around almost all of the sound configs (although the defaults were pretty much the same as they were in .61).

Anyone else have any sound problems with .63 that weren't present in .61? I supposed I can just keep both versions of DosBox and use .61 for PoR, but that just seems kind of silly.

Reply 1 of 8, by Flinx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New to DOSbox

I am using DOSbox 0.65 and I have Pool of Radiance up an running but the sound sucks. It mostly sounds like static. I really miss the satisfaction of that death explosion I remember from 17 years ago.

Is there a way to change the pool.cfg file or do I need to do something in Dosbox to get a better sound quality?

Reply 2 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm try changing the rate of dosbox to 44100

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 8, by Bobbo1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can't say I had that problem, mine was either off or on.

Its been a bit since i checked in here, there's a new version .65? I'll have to try that and maybe it will fix my sound issue for this game. I haven't bothered checking for updates because for every other game I have been playing .63 has worked FLAWLESSLY.

Reply 4 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox is constantly evolving. If you stay with an older version you are missing the goodies. 😁

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 8, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pool of Radience runs good on mine and it didn't have much sound either. I had a friend who had the old Commadore 64 version and it didn't have much sound either. Most of the old SSI D&D games used their files for gameplay and not for music.

Reply 6 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well it shouldn't sound like static though.
Be sure the sound is configured correctly (irq7 dma1), maybe try
different soundblaster types.

Reply 7 of 8, by Flinx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

hmm try changing the rate of dosbox to 44100

I used D-Fend to change the sound sample rate to 44100 abd the soundblaster opl rate to 44100; while there is a change, I cannot say it is better...

Reply 8 of 8, by Flinx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

Well it shouldn't sound like static though.
Be sure the sound is configured correctly (irq7 dma1), maybe try
different soundblaster types.

Hmmm, changing to sb1 from sb16 did seem to improve things slightly. I'll have to play around with these settings when I have a little time.

Thanks for the suggestions! 😀