VOGONS

First post, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know, I know, this is a game emulator, but I was wondering, since installing Windows 3.X is possible, if that version of Netscape I located on an old CD (v4.08 for Windows 3.1) could work under DOSBox. My guess is that it should work, although first I need to enable internet access under DOSBox and Windows 3.X. How can I do that? Do I need any particular drivers or Windows 3.1 has them already?

Reply 1 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't think you can access the net, but if you do, I'd like to know that, too 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 13, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aw, forget it. Just checked my favourite frontend and seems that DOSBox only supports the IPX network protocol. This means that even if I install winsock, the TCP/IP network protocol for Windows 3.X it won't work.

Reply 4 of 13, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mmm... Is there any frontend out there that allows to see / change the modem configuration? I'm a dummy when it comes to command line stuff, and I can't see those settings in DBGL or D-Fend.

Reply 7 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember a long time I someone implementing NICS into DosBox and posting a pic of IE rendering slashdot.....buried somewhere in this forum.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 13, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No success 🙄

Step 1: Creating a profile with modem on, OK

Step 2: Installing Windows 3.11 + PCNET Family driver for Windows 3.X + Microsoft TCP / IP protocol, OK

Step 3: Installing Netscape Suite v4.08, OK

Step 4: Trying to configure TCP / IP from values obtained from IPCONFIG /ALL, Not sure if OK. Concepts are not exact over the years, and I may be filling the wrong values there.

Step 5: Creating a BAT including the NET START command followed by WIN.COM, OK.

Step 6: Restart Windows 3.11, Windows returns network error ( depressed: ), Netscape initialization fails miserably, I go for a coffee.

Reply 11 of 13, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> Installing Windows 3.11 + PCNET Family driver
Why would you think dosbox emulates such hardware? I was talking about a serial PPP connection AND you have to find the thing that PPP can connect to.

> Windows returns network error
The Windows network stuff doesn't work in dosbox DOS, booting from an image may work around this.

1+1=10

Reply 12 of 13, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ouch. 😵

I got those drivers from another web, they said it worked on virtual machines, so I though I should give it a try.

Anyway, I think I'm letting this as it is now (miserable failure), mainly because I'm a dummy when it comes to network real computers as well, and also because I just messed the D.O.G. profile and now i can't even run Windows 3.11.

Case dismissed.

Reply 13 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just install Microsoft Virtual PC or even better Qemu and do what you want to do in those products.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline