Rank

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI 915P combo
CPU: P4 3.0 GHz with HT
Video: ATI X850 Pro
Sound: X-Fi Xtreme music
Windows XP Home edition

Game: Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall, fully patched

I just cannot get this to run in DOSBox, but I have few troubles getting it to run in XP.

To start, I admit to pirating it. It ran through a basic Windows XP type of installer, and boom, the game worked. I had to seperetly scavenge for the VDMS to get the sound to work, but that's besides the point. I instaled it to run with no CD, but I do have the ISO image.

The problem with running through XP is that movement is just screwed up. Moving forward is fairly slow, and if I'm lucky I MIGHT be able to strafe and move backwards at a snails pace.

I got as far as mounting the game and running it through a batch file that directs it use two files at once, FALL.EXE and Z.CFG, just to save future typing trouble.

Whenever it gets to running, the DOS status window gives me the following error:

Exit to error: CPU:GRP5:Illegal Call 7

After looking around through different threads, I changed the CPU core from normal to simple, then full, then dynamic, and each gave a different error.

Simple: Daggerfall cannot run under Simple
Normal: Exit to error: CPU:GRP5:Illegal Call 7
Full: This just gives me a blank command screen, no cursor or anything. The DOSbox status window doesn't say anything either.
Dynamic: Same as Normal.

I'm really at a loss of what to do. Few people seem to get this error on these baords with this game...

Reply 3 of 9, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First, make sure none of the files are write protected. A lot of people glance over this but it makes the oddest errors happen. Second, Dagger Fall worked fine for me, both the official CD and a ripped version. The question of course is where you got yours from - a custom ripped version mixed with a patch can cause unpredictable results.

Reply 4 of 9, by Nova225

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry, but how would I go about checking if the files are write protected?

Also, the download came with 3 files. The ISO, an installer, and the patch. So I technically could play without the patch (though from what i've read, would be suicide).

Reply 5 of 9, by Nova225

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this topic is old and probably dead, but I'm still trying to get it to run in DOSBox.

Like I said, it runs in XP using VDMS sound emulator, but the controls are messed up. Movement is slow, and I cannot backpedal or strafe (or at least at an extreme slow pace).

I've tried turning off HT on my processor, and that didn't help any either.

Reply 6 of 9, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nova225 wrote:

I know this topic is old and probably dead, but I'm still trying to get it to run in DOSBox.

Like I said, it runs in XP using VDMS sound emulator, but the controls are messed up. Movement is slow, and I cannot backpedal or strafe (or at least at an extreme slow pace).

I've tried turning off HT on my processor, and that didn't help any either.

I own a legitimate copy of Daggerfall (with original CD) so I can verify it does work under Dosbox.

To start with, I experience the same problems you do when running it under XP w/VDMSound. This may be either from a dual core system or simply the very high clock rate available nowadays; it doesn't happen on my retro P3 machine when running it under XP.

You MUST patch Daggerfall to play it. This is true in DOS, Windows, or Dosbox. It was very buggy at release; and only the 2.13 patch version has any hope of working (it's still buggy, but in tolerable ways).

For DosBox, I use a recent CVS build (usually my own, but it's simply a compile, nothing special). Set your core type to full, as dynamic does not get along well with Daggerfall (Daggerfall does run time code substitution). Other than that and max cycles, I can't remember anything specific I did to make it compatible - I usually set a machine for VGA, 16MB, turn off all sound except Soundblaster as my "normal" config.

-Frob

Reply 8 of 9, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wd wrote:

> Other than that and max cycles

Please try to keep things straight, cycles=auto for dosbox 0.65.
This is valid for the cvs as well (regarding daggerfall and similar).

Shrug, you should deprecate and remove max from code then, since it isn't really the same thing as auto (auto will switch to max, but not vice versa).

They certainly have different handlers in cpu.cpp. If the intent isn't to use max any more, I'd suggesting removing the handler and equating it to auto.

Reply 9 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well the point is that there's no max in 0.65, but there's auto and max
in the cvs (and they're different). Just if you replace max with auto in
your posting, it's valid (and has the same effect on speed) for 0.65
and cvs builds 😉
It's just to avoid "setting cycles to max is so slow, why?" questions.