VOGONS

Reply 61 of 112, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It doesn't make sense for you to have problems with my config file as long as you're running the game in DOSBOX. Your install must be missing files.

To get the install program to work, all you need to do is get the nextgen installer replacement that I've attached to the first post of this thread.

Reply 64 of 112, by kstabell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I already used the modified install program, everything went fine until the setup stage after copying all the files, that's when the first error occured

Your CD-ROM drive has not been detected or the game CD-ROM is not in your CD-ROM drive. Please insert the game CD-ROM in your CD-ROM drive and try again.

Reply 67 of 112, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, here's my super dooper "skip the install program entirely" method.

Get your CD out. Open up the STTNGINS.ZIP file on the CD and extract it to the folder you want to install the game to. Also copy the STTNG.ZIP file there (don't extract this). And, finally, grab my pre-made STTNG.OVL file from the first post in this thread and put it in the folder too.

Make this STTNG.INI file in the folder:

Audio=SB16
Port=0x220
IRQ=0x7
DMA=0x5
Video=HI16
DPixel=ON
Path=.
CD=.
Sound=ON
Music=ON
Voices=ON
Movies=ON
Advice=0
Dialogs=OFF
VolSound=0x7FFF
VolMusic=0x7FFF
UniVESA=OFF

Game should work. 😀

In DOSBOX.conf, I recommend setting "sensitivity" to about 500. Otherwise the mouse is way too slow. May also want to set core to dynamic instead of auto, and set 20000 cycles.

Last edited by swaaye on 2009-04-25, 22:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 69 of 112, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmmm this just doesn't make sense. You are using dosbox right? As in www.dosbox.com and not Windows's "dos box". The game definitely won't work with the plain Windows "dos" box (it's actually a horrible emulator).

EDIT:
Here's an archive of the setup I just put together to run the game. All you have to do is put your STTNG.ZIP file from the game CD into the STTNG folder. And then run DOSBOX.exe to get into the DOS window.

download

I left the cycles at 30,000. That may be too fast for your computer. If you get choppy sound, change the 30,000 setting inside dosbox.conf to auto,max or 20,000.

Last edited by swaaye on 2009-07-19, 00:20. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 71 of 112, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just unzip it to a folder. Inside is DOSBOX 0.72 along with a "hdd" folder, which is the folder that DOSBOX will mount as a virtual C drive. It will look like the only thing installed on C drive is STTNG. All you need to do is put your big STTNG.ZIP file from the game CD into the "STTNG" folder within that "hdd" folder. You don't have to do this inside DOSBOX.

Then just run DOSBOX.EXE and you'll get the Dos Box window.

type: "CD STTNG" and then "STTNG" to run the game.

Reply 73 of 112, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's not really specialized. that's just how you set up dosbox to run a game. It's best to setup DOSBOX as a self-contained entity rather than mount your real system's C drive.

Reply 74 of 112, by kstabell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

in that case should I transfer the other games to the version you sent me? also I noticed that with the modifications to the game it doesn't require the CD if I transfer the other games which also require a disc will I need to mount the drive still?

Reply 75 of 112, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's usually tricky to separate games from their need for their CD. You might need to edit a config file like the STTNG.INI. Or it may work just by copying all the files to the folder.

As for configuring DOSBOX, you should really head over to the DOSBOX site and read through the guides.

Reply 79 of 112, by V00D00

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all: Please don't be mad at me, because I only registered to dig out this thread.

Secondly I want to appreciate the first post from swaaye, because it's the first instruction for running STAFU, that really worked stable and with sound!

But I wouldn't post here, if I weren't to dumb to get the thing working.
My problem starts (unsurprisingly) at the tactical screen, where the game just does nothing, except for the sound, which keeps on running. The game crashes, when I press the Esc key and displays DOS/32A warning (9003).

There is a FAQ which states the following:

Question #11:
I am getting these annoying warnings every time I run my program:
DOS/32A warning (9003): real mode interrupt vector had been modified: INT 00h
DOS/32A warning (9003): real mode interrupt vector had been modified: INT 22h
Can I disable them, and if yes, how?

Answer #11:
There are several ways to disable the warnings issued by the DOS Extender. One way is to add an option /QUIET to the DOS/32 Advanced environment variable DOS32A which is usually defined in your autoexec.bat file. This option will effectively disable all the warnings. Another option, /NOWARN:nnnn allows you to disable warning with a particular number, in this case 9003. Yet another way to disable warnings for only one application that uses DOS/32 Advanced DOS Extender is to use the SUNSYS Setup Utility program provided with the DOS Extender. Run the Setup Utility on the application you wish to reconfigure, press the F2-key, then 4-key and turn off the Report Modified Real Mode INTs option by pressing the ENTER key. Exit the Setup Utility program by selecting Apply Changes and Exit option (F10-key).

Anyway, I don't know how to use this piece of information...
But it looks like I'm so close to run this game without any errors!

The facts: