VOGONS

First post, by Rachel O

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed somebody else had a similar problem with this game before, but I didn't understand any of the help advice given. I run it on DOSbox and it works great until a character talks to me and then it freezes up. Someone mentioned that it was a sound problem--how do I change sound problems? How do I fix this? Please help!

Reply 1 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think Martian Memorandum is from Access Software and may be using RealSound(tm) to produce digitised samples using Internal Speaker. This is incompatible with DOSBox. Try checking if you can configure sound options to use SoundBlaster. If not, you may need to run the game without sound (yikes!).

*** Moving to DOSBox Games/Apps. section, by the way ***

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox has partial support for digitized sound played through the PC speaker:
- Axe of Rage intro music works
- Wizardry 7 sounds work, albeit with popping
- Silpheed speech at the beginning of the game doesn't work

There are probably better examples that I can't think of at the moment.

Reply 8 of 10, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Rachel,

Strangely, it works fine on my box using the latest CVS. Please try to remove the file MM.CFG in your Martian Memorandum directory, and expirement with the various soundcard options that show up on the next startup to see if it makes a difference?!

Regards,

Ronald

Last edited by rcblanke on 2005-10-07, 07:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 10, by Rachel O

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright! I got it to work!! Turns out the problem wasn't the sound setting, it was the music setting, strangely enough... I changed it from adlib to roland and now the small sound clip (which, by the way, doesn't even have any music in it) plays through just fine. And the music sounds better, too! Thanks for all your help!