VOGONS

First post, by Eck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't seen this mentioned here so I'm wondering whether any players have this problem and perhaps a fix.

You know when you move the mouse on the screen and hover over an item, the description of what the program will do if you click there appears on the bottom left of the game's on screen tool panel?

Well, when using Dosbox the descriptions are fine if I'm moving the mouse along the tool panel but when hovering around the game screen the descriptions will not change. When clicking where I know stuff will happen (ie: talk to Worf, or use item on this thing) the appropriate action occurs. But that just tells me the mouse it working properly and that I know where to click without the usual descriptive help.

What I'm worried about is later in a couple of sections of the gameplay you have to carefully click in the proper spots. Particularly the area of the puzzle where a wrong click sends your character into the abyss, and the area where you have to deactivate lasers so your character can advance out the door to the following room. Also, when operating the viewer in the final portion it helps to have the descriptions available.

I've had this graphic anomoly no matter how I've set up Dosbox. Currently, I use the latest precompiled CVS, the DOS32A injected into my STTNG.OVL file, Dynamic Core, 10,000 CPU Cycles, Overlay, and mouse speed up'd to 300 for this game as that makes the mouse move around the screen at the right speed without dragging slowly.

This has happend anytime I've used Dosbox. Vdmsound and the normal XP command box don't have this problem, but the nice thing about running the game in Dosbox is the lack of crashing and the audio is just about perfect with no scratchiness. You only miss the full screen movies as they only look right and play at correct speeds in non-full screen setting. (Dosbox is in full screen, I mean't the in game setting for the short movie sequences.)

Any possible solution?

Reply 1 of 1, by Eck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just updated to the newly posted AEP compiled Dosbox CVS.

When first running the game I got the same problem. After playing for a few minutes, however, the cursor descriptions began appearing correctly!

I just saved within the first mission, and will try running it again later to see if the problem reappears.

I don't know how it fixed itself while running the game, but it did.

The game now looks and sounds just like running it in real dos! Perhaps other stuff has been fixed with the newer CVS build as well. Right now, STTNG is the only game installed. I'll try some others and see how other stuff is working now. I know several months had gone by since the older CVS was posted. I'm guessing things have not been idle.

Thanks to the fella with the laptop for compiling the newer build! I forget his name (sorry!), but appreciate it since the few tries at doing it myself were not successful.

Edit - Thanks XTale!