VOGONS

First post, by Fëanor-old

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a problem with Daughter of Serpents: the graphics which are supposed to be superimposed over the backgrounds are all completely corrupted. See for instance the attached screenshot, where there's supposed to be a character standing in the middle of the room.

It is not a problem with my data files, as it occurs both with my original floppy version and the one available on HOTU.

The game's manual states that, if graphical corruption occurs, I should disable SMARTDRV. Indeed, I seem to remember that the exact same problem occurred with SMARTDRV on DOS at the time (but that was over 10 years ago, so maybe I'm making it up).

Anyway, is there a DOSBox equivalent of disabling SMARTDRV (I'm still not very clear as to what this thing was supposed to do, so I can't find the correct option to tweak)?

Thanks.

Attachments

• hiload_002.png
    Filename
    hiload_002.png
    File size
    22.23 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The character is absent, and partially replaced by random stuff
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That looks a lot like the corruption in Lord of the Rings vol 2, which was fixed in CVS. What version of DOSBox are you testing with? (in fact, please read the help guidelines and provide the requested info)

Reply 2 of 13, by Fëanor-old

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, of course, you're right, I should have mentioned all that. Sorry.

I'm using the latest CVS (compiled it again a few minutes ago). I'm under WinXP. Computer's a Dell laptop, with a Pentium 4 and a Radeon 9000.

The problem occurs whatever the value I set for:

• output (surface/overlay)
    scaler, aspect ratio
    core (dynamic/normal)
    sound device used (MIDI/AdLib)
    xms/ems/umb

And I guess that's it.

Reply 3 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have been playing it for 2 minutes. I haven't noticed any corruption. The interface/graphics suck big time by the way. How the hell do you travel to the museum?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 13, by Fëanor-old

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't you see something wrong when you try taking the lift in the hotel / coming down from your room (that's the first one I noticed)?

To travel, click in the bottom-right corner (->inventory), then click on the map on the upper-right corner.

And it's not only the interface that sucks in this game... 😁

Reply 5 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NO. Graphics display properly for me. I have been in the hotel, across the street, museum and police station. I haven't noticed any graphic anomalies/artifacts. I am using official DOSBox 0.63

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 7 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes. I don't know if he has tried the official version too. If not, he should give it a go before using the CVS.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 8 of 13, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi there,

Strangely, for me the version from HOTU is showing graphics corruption in 0.63 as well. The guy in the bar surely is not rendered correctly.
What dosbox configuration changes did you apply, eL_PuSHeR?

Regards,

Ronald

Attachments

• hiload_000.png
    Filename
    hiload_000.png
    File size
    32.94 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    This guy requires medical attention
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 13, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting case. Breaks all over the place but seems to work (mostly) in VirtualPC. Another thing: multivolume ARJ extracting does not work well under DOSBox, files that span multiple volumes come out corrupted due to bad date/time handling.

Reply 10 of 13, by Fëanor-old

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're right, vasyl, the problem is not with the game, but with the installer. Some files are not properly uncompressed (those spread over two discs), which causes the broken graphics. Uncompressing the thing with WinRAR or such solved the problem.

Reply 11 of 13, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think this particular bug was discussed before. DOSBox does not pay much attention to datestamp. Most games did not care anyway. Unfortunately, multivolume ARJ compares name and timestamp to match parts. IIRC, RAR does the same thing. This is unlikely to affect games themselves but there were quite a few installers (not to mention all kinds of "abandonware") that actually used multivolume ARJ.

Reply 12 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So the problem lies in the installation process. That's why it worked for me. Because I downloaded it from some site where it was repacked without installation.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 13 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hmm I recall I once looked into setting the date and timestamp
Have to see where I left that part of code 😀

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!