VOGONS

Privateer

Topic actions

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Guys, what settings do you use in the Privateer install.exe to get this game to work?

I remember running this game some time ago in DosBox just fine (had to disable ems of course). I even checked my Compatibility List for any problems that I may have encounter.....but I have nothing written down.....

Now whatever I try I keep on getting the dreaded, "Error Code: D002-FFFF".

I've been reading through the various Privateer threads on the forum but nothing works so far. So people have had to use improper IRQ settings in the installer just to get the game to work....hell I've even tried with no Music/Speech but the game still won't work. I've also tried using Normal core.

I've been trying the latest CVS, various CVS throughout 2005, and DosBox 0.63 with the same symptoms.

My Privateer install is about 15.5mb and the Privater.exe is dated from 1993.

Mabye I'm just getting old.....either that or JEMM is the biggest POS extender out there. (I'm voting the later. 😉 )

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, seems the install program doesn't change the sound.cfg file. I even tried it in NTVDM and it's the same behavior.

If I use the one from the install both are set to "Sound Blaster". If I try to change them and then go back into the install it's still "Sound Blaster".

If I delete sound.cfg and go back in it's set to "None", but if I change it and go back in it's still set to "None".

Sigh.

Can someone post the contents of their working sound.cfg here? I really don't feel like decoding sound.cfg since it seems to not ne very user friendly.

Here's the contents of my sound.cfg

0 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 6 5 […]
Show full quote

0 0
-1 -1 -1 -1
-1 -1 -1 -1
6 5

Reply 2 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did a little bit more playing around. Turns out the settings only apply if you set "Install with these options". If you don't then the settings don't apply. Pretty stupid terminology but oh well. I'm leaving this thread here as a monument to the stupidity of the both myself and the designers of the POS installer.

The above explains why some people had to use different IRQ settings......If they thought that they had to use IRQ 5 (Cause someone told them to) and they chose it in the installer and it "worked". Well...they didn't save their settings so Privateer simply used the original settings in it's sound.cfg.

This should be helpful info since I plan on getting rid of alot of useless Privateer info.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2005-12-04, 17:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, we get a lot of posts about this error due to people using the HotU version, which has a bad sound config included.

You shouldn't have to disable EMS in CVS any more - I think a fix was implemented but you may want to verify.

Reply 4 of 7, by Nomad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You dont need to disable EMS anymore. When you quit the game and you have EMS enabled, it gives you a bunch of error messages, but since it only happens on quitting, who cares.

Imagine a world where we can play all DOS games. Wouldn't it be nice?

Reply 5 of 7, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Privateer uses the VCPI interface when ems is disabled, that's why
it works now. But the crashes during exit are new to me, will try to
reproduce them (does it happen to somebody else as well?)

Reply 6 of 7, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Cannot reproduce this. But when I want to run the Privateer installer after Privateer itself was run, it just says 'packed file is corrupt.'. Some other programs also have problem running after Privateer.

Reply 7 of 7, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well the VCPI host has to switch into v86 mode, and certain parts of
the games (most notably the Strike Commander installer) only work in
v86 mode, so the cpu won't run in real mode after exiting the game.

The v86 monitor is quite tricky, even emm386 didn't really have a
reliable one (remembering the GPFs...).