VOGONS

First post, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With all the different options I have now for DOSBOX (mount iso, mount several seperate drives, etc.) it's becoming increasingly clearer that I should start having a menu instead of having to manually alter the settings each time.

My old IBM 386 had a cool menu program that looked simple and I'd love to have something similar (not to mention, for nostalgic value). Does anyone know a program that could make a menu that resembles this old menu? I know there's quite a few programs out there for making menus but I can't seem to find any that will make it something similar like this.

Plus I think quite a few people would like a program like this, even if just for games.

Attachments

• Filename
    ps1menu.jpg
    File size
    95.66 KiB
    Downloads
    298 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by Melroc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As far as i know you can download several frontends for DOSBox from their homepage that would serve your purpose.
Not very nice but functional 😉
Under DOS, programs like "qmenu" or "quickmenu" would be a good choice.

Reply 2 of 8, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi red_avatar,

I totally agree that front-ends like D-Fend might be what you need, so you can customize and tweak Dosbox' settings. However, if you want a true dos menu program, might I suggest my own 'Access' (http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/blankendaalr/ or http://surf.to/AccessDosMenu)?! There is a speedy text-mode version, and Access comes in multiple graphical versions as well if you'd want that. Both English and Dutch releases are available.

Also, Gaze or Glance might be interesting dos menu programs (http://www.filelibrary.com/Contents/DOS/52/3.html).

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 3 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BE A MAN AND WRITE IT YOURSELF!!!!!!!!11!! 😀

Allow me to whip up a nice template.

config.sys

[menu]
menuitem=WIN, Windows98
menuitem=XMS, DOS XMS
menuitem=EMS, DOS EMS
menuitem=4GW, Protected Mode games

[common]

[WIN]

[XMS]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS I=B000-B7FF
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=30
BUFFERS=10

[EMS]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM I=B000-B7FF
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=30
BUFFERS=10

[4GW]
FILES=30
BUFFERS=10

autoexec.bat

@ECHO OFF
PATH=C:\;C:\WINDOWS;
GOTO %CONFIG%

:WIN
WIN
GOTO END

:XMS
SMARTDRV
LH DOSKEY
GOTO END

:EMS
SMARTDRV
LH DOSKEY
GOTO END

:4GW
SMARTDRV
LH DOSKEY
GOTO END

:END

Don't forget to edit your msdos.sys file and change the gui=1 to 0 so it doesn't start Windows automatically. And, of course, you need your sound card, mouse, and cdrom stuff!! This is also assuming you're running Windows 9x. If you're using DOS 6 you need to change the /WINDOWS/ to /DOS/

Reply 4 of 8, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Frontends are for Windows babies 😜 I just wanted an authentic DOS menu, and I found it with 3DMenu which does everything I wanted. It's far quicker than D-Fend too. It also looks quite a bit like that IBM menu, which is what I specifically wanted. Thanks anyway though.

Reply 5 of 8, by boxrun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tested some dos menu's years ago for use with MAME. This was my personel preference;

ftp://ftp.eunet.bg/pub/simtelnet/msdos/menu/pcms130.zip

Otherwise just search on Simtel

Reply 6 of 8, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red_avatar wrote:

Frontends are for Windows babies 😜 I just wanted an authentic DOS menu, and I found it with 3DMenu which does everything I wanted. It's far quicker than D-Fend too. It also looks quite a bit like that IBM menu, which is what I specifically wanted. Thanks anyway though.

Hey...I don't have to worry about configuration once I backup my games with defend...so there. 🤣 I prefer to actually have all my games in a list with their own configs all ready to go.

Reply 7 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably the best benefit to an internal DosBox frontend is that it works across all OS's so if you use Linux/Windows/OSX alot you don't have to bother with host frontends and you don't have to worry about your frontend never working because if it works in DosBox it will probably continue to do so (at least more so than Windows where if you move your mouse you'll have to reboot). 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 8, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its still hard to set certain options from within dosbox (scalers etc). If the time comes where d-fend no longer works for me then I would rather do with no menu at all.

Of course, since d-fend creates conf files I could just stick them into the directories and a copy of dosbox. 😎 So thats my backup plan.